No more car phone with 1.1.1?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Prior to 1.1.1, if I had the iPhone playing through my car stereo, I could make a call on 'speaker' and it would play through the car speakers. Now it only goes through the phone speaker, which I can't hear while driving. Anyone else?

bigmac

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Los Angeles
Prior to 1.1.1, if I had the iPhone playing through my car stereo, I could make a call on 'speaker' and it would play through the car speakers. Now it only goes through the phone speaker, which I can't hear while driving. Anyone else?

what are you using to play through car speakers?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Generally, if you are connected through the headphone jack, if you are using a regular 3 band headphone jack, the phone ignores it as a source to play a call's audio through.
With a 4 band adapter, like the Seidio one I have with the inline mic, that works fine.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
I'm using a 6" gray cable from Radio Shack which I stripped the plastic from at the end to get it to fit. Before the update I could hear through the car speakers when I hit 'speaker', but now I can't. Maybe I just need to play with it a little more. Either way, I have a bluetooth headset which I prefer for car calls anyway. :cool:

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Generally, if you are connected through the headphone jack, if you are using a regular 3 band headphone jack, the phone ignores it as a source to play a call's audio through.
With a 4 band adapter, like the Seidio one I have with the inline mic, that works fine.
That's not true. Before the update I used 3-conductor to line-in just fine to receive calls. The only thing I had to do was use the phone's mic to speak (obviously).

After the update it works exactly the same, in the test I just tried (this time with standard headphones, whittled down to fit the iPhone).

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Good to know... maybe I didn't have it plugged in right... :)
yes if you are also using "whittled down" connectors that could be the case. When I first tried it (just a little while ago) I didn't have the plug in all of the way and the mic didn't work on the phone (but I still got stereo sound).

--
Mike

DocHolliday

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
Can you post a link to which adapter with inline mic you're using? Thanks.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
there used to be a listing for the adapter in the store here, but I was unable to locate it. Go to www.seidio.com, and then go to the store, choose iPhone accessories, and then audio adapters.
I use mine all the time and the only complaint I ever received was that I sounded like I was on speakerphone.
great little device for 15 bucks.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
I tried this again and it's definitely not working. Before when the phone rang, I could just hit 'speaker' and it'd go into the car's stereo. Now it doesn't. You guys say it's working for you still?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I tried this again and it's definitely not working. Before when the phone rang, I could just hit 'speaker' and it'd go into the car's stereo. Now it doesn't. You guys say it's working for you still?
Definitely worked for me on 1.1.1 and on 1.0.2.

To be clear I first had to tap Answer to take the call; tapping Speaker turned on the (iPhone's) mic, which was muted till doing so.

That said I can't test 1.1.1 anymore as I have now rolled back to 1.0.2. Still works the same though.

--
Mike

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
See, in my case, I'm listening to the iPod, and then it fades out and I hear the ringing, so I hit 'Answer' and it picks up the call, but I can't hear anything. If I hit 'Speaker', it simply goes to the iPhone's own speakers instead of through the headphone jack to the car's speakers.

saaber

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Can you post a link to which adapter with inline mic you're using? Thanks.
Be warned that I bought this seidio adapter and it reduces the volume coming from the phone by about 80%. I get full volume when connected directly to the iPhone but when it goes through the seidio adapter it is barely audible.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Be warned that I bought this seidio adapter and it reduces the volume coming from the phone by about 80%. I get full volume when connected directly to the iPhone but when it goes through the seidio adapter it is barely audible.
Again, that's YOUR experience, and not the norm.