No more loaner iPhone in Apple stores

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
Sorry if this has already been posted, I searched and did not find any posts.

Had been to an Apple store here to report a defect or something on my screen and asked Genius for the loaner phone. He said that they have stopped providing loaner phones and can only order a replacement phone for me. He gave my phone back and asked me to use it until I get a replacement phone.

When the replacement arrives, I have to go to the store and pick up the same in 2 days. Just wanted to let you folks know on this issue. Not sure how is it going to work out when your phone needs repair.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
Hmm, I wonder how many of these "replacement" iPhones will be refurbished, or brand new? Not so long ago, someone on here posted getting a "new" replacement phone from Apple, only to find someone else's numbers and details on there.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I searched and did not find any posts.

Had been to an Apple store here to report a defect or something on my screen and asked Genius for the loaner phone. He said that they have stopped providing loaner phones and can only order a replacement phone for me. He gave my phone back and asked me to use it until I get a replacement phone.

When the replacement arrives, I have to go to the store and pick up the same in 2 days. Just wanted to let you folks know on this issue. Not sure how is it going to work out when your phone needs repair.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Hmm, I wonder how many of these "replacement" iPhones will be refurbished, or brand new? Not so long ago, someone on here posted getting a "new" replacement phone from Apple, only to find someone else's numbers and details on there.
I know I wouldn't be happy to find this....:(

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
When I read post like this, I often wonder if this is the 1st cell phone some people have ever owed in their life.

Apple does NOT have to provide "loaner" phones. If some have gotten loaners, thats great, but its not a "must-do!"

Next- chances of receiving a refurb is HIGH! Again, brand-new-out-the-box is nice but also not a "must-do!"

Receiving a refurb with someone else's info is also not uncommon. If you received a "new" phone with someone else's info- get a clue- it wasn't new!

Just check out some of the TreoCentral threads and you'll find a wealth of people who received phones with someone else's info.

Riddle me this- If YOU sent your phone in for repair with all YOUR vital information on it- WHOSE FAULT IS THAT?

It seems that since the iPhone, people are sounding off like Apple is the ONLY company in which this has happened. Steve Jobs may think he's God, but Apple is not the Vatican! Mistakes happen.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
I asked the Genius whether it will be a new/refurbished and he told me that he has no clue. Guess Apple has stopped accepting phones for repair and if the Genius thinks its indeed a issue with the phone will almost always provide a replacement phone right away.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW
When I read post like this, I often wonder if this is the 1st cell phone some people have ever owed in their life.

Next- chances of receiving a refurb is HIGH! Again, brand-new-out-the-box is nice but also not a "must-do!".
I am not complaining here. Just wanted to bring it your notice about the loaner phone issue. I don't even need a loaner phone because I have other phones that I can use.

In pertinent to the loaner phone and the replacement phone being new/refurbished phone, you have paid for your phone $600 and within 3 months you have replaced 2 phones (for no fault of yours), do you think its fair on Apple to provide a refurbished one?

Will you be ready to accept a used car if the dealer says after 3 months that you have a faulty transmission or something? You will always want the new parts replaced because you have paid your money for it. I am starting to wonder as to why does so many people here have problems with their iPhones and if Apple is using good quality parts for their phone.

Roger

Sep 6, 2007
comparing a car to a cell phone is like comparing Apples and oranges. it is a standard procedure for phone manufacturers to replace faulty units with refurbs if a refurb is available. if one is not, you get a new phone. this has been a common practice for as long as i can remember.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Common or not, it doesn't mean we have to like it.

I don't want someone else's ear grease in my earpiece. I bought a new product that didn't work as advertised, I expect a new product in it's place, and a loaner if one a replacement is not available. I do not expect the loaner to be new.

I have worked in the cellular businesss back in my college years, and loaner phones were a common practice with us. People would not expect them if they were not already conditioned to it.