No more NBC shows on iTunes

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
According to this, Apple won't buy NBC shows anymore. It doesn't sound that bad, until you realize it involves a lot more than NBC shows (other networks are involved) and many cable popular shows won't be available anymore on iTunes after September.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
According to this, Apple won't buy NBC shows anymore. It doesn't sound that bad, until you realize it involves a lot more than NBC shows (other networks are involved) and many cable popular shows won't be available anymore on iTunes after September.
It's because NBC charged Apple twice what other providers did. Apple would have to change episode prices to $4.99 instead of the traditional $1.99, which I wouldn't pay even if it were still available.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It's because NBC charged Apple twice what other providers did. Apple would have to change episode prices to $4.99 instead of the traditional $1.99, which I wouldn't pay even if it were still available.
I know, but it still would be cheaper and much faster than to wait until they come on DVD. A lot of great shows, including Battlestar Galactica:mad::(, won't be available anymore.

That is, unless we get them from torrentz.com...

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I know, but it still would be cheaper and much faster than to wait until they come on DVD. A lot of great shows, including Battlestar Galactica:mad::(, won't be available anymore.

That is, unless we get them from torrentz.com...
Haha, no I definitely feel you here. I love the Office with a burning passion.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Oh well, looks like its time to complete as many seasons as I can until the 24th.

The whole purchase point for me is not having to reconvert this stuff from divx. Free or not, I don't want to waste my time fiddling with encoders anymore. bleh NBC.

Aug 28, 2007
i feel bad for people who actually pay for those shows when you can get them for free... i don't think im allowed to discuss torrents though..

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
i feel bad for people who actually pay for those shows when you can get them for free... i don't think im allowed to discuss torrents though..
DVRs get them for free as well. It is not an absolute must to watch them on the iPhone. If the show is so important to you, why not DVR it from NBC and watch it (on a TV if you don't want to convert it)?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
NBC seems to be the loser here.

Most comments I've read elsewhere seem to indicate people who bought NBC shows via iTunes wouldn't have paid $4.99 per episode anyway. Some will just forgo NBC. Others will will get them from BT or DVR, in which case NBC loses either way (they won't get iTunes or ad revenue--since most DVR users will skip through commercials, or have them cut out entirely). From what I'm seeing very few will choose to go with NBC's upcoming "Hulu" service.

As for me, the DVR software I use for my HTPC (Snapstream) has just been updated to include iPhone support (still beta, but I am a beta tester). Now I can record any show--that I am already paying for though cable anyway--and have it automatically sent and synced via iTunes.

And that's the thing: even though I was already paying for cable TV I still purchased shows from iTunes. For $2 it was quick, on-demand, and easy enough that I didn't have to bother with converting anything. But at $5 I am definitely not interested.

I predict that Hulu will fail, assuming it gets off the ground in the first place.

--
Mike

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, this is seriously a joke.

Bottom line is I'm still going to get my shows onto my iPhone regardless of buying them through iTunes or not. I preferred using iTunes because it saved me time transcoding video from my PC to the iPhone, and NBC got 2 bux a pop in the process.

No more, You lose NBC.