No Power

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
So I was in the middle of watching Transformers 3 when I hear a "pop" and the house goes dark. I looked outside and we are the only house with their lights off. I reported the outage to the power company 20 mins ago so hopefully it is turned back on soon. It's weird going to the bathroom in the dark and not having any source of power to charge my phone. I already drained the battery down once by using Waze this morning. I practically need to have the phone on a charger all of the time watching any sort of videos, listening to music, or having turn by turn directions going.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
You don't have an external charger and a flashlight?
No, unfortunately not prepared for this sort of thing. I don't have any flashlights, external chargers, or anything running on battery power. I have the flashlight app on my phone but that only gives off minimal light.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Funny you were watching transformers 3. It was probably a transformer that blew, leaving you in the dark. Here the transformer to our house serves 4 homes. You should have a power outage number to call. Look under "City of" electric dep't.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
For many years, I've always had flashlights within easy reach all around the house. It might be a good idea to have an UPS around too so you'd have a way to charge your phone. I usually have had one or 2 at home as well as the flashlights.
YMMV

Last edited:

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
Just a quick update, it was a transformer. I called the power company and they sent out a crew right away and the power was back on within the hour. I need to get a good flashlight.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Just a quick update, it was a transformer. I called the power company and they sent out a crew right away and the power was back on within the hour. I need to get a good flashlight.
A few good candles works well for us. Not those smelly ones in a jar, but the long stick candles. They put out a lot of light. I use 2 candelabra with 3 candles each. Jar and votive candles don't put out enough light.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
I have flashlights all over our house. And an AA powered phone charger with a crapload of batteries. I also have a transfer switch/port from the breaker box that I can hook my generator up to so I can power most of the house.