No ring straight to voicemail

RJ1

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Celebration FL
This has happened to me twice already I was waiting for my gf to get out of the store sittin in the car she calls. It does not ring but instead her call goes straight to the voice mail. While she was calling I was watching a youtube video. and only the voice mail chime plays.

This is just the second time I noticed that but was wondering if anyone has gotten a actual call while watching a youtube video or using the maps feature by EDGE not wifi.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
This has happened to me twice already I was waiting for my gf to get out of the store sittin in the car she calls. It does not ring but instead her call goes straight to the voice mail. While she was calling I was watching a youtube video. and only the voice mail chime plays.

This is just the second time I noticed that but was wondering if anyone has gotten a actual call while watching a youtube video or using the maps feature by EDGE not wifi.
If you're using EDGE for anything and a call comes in, it'll go straight to VM. Sucks, I know.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
The worst part is that it also doesn't leave a missed call notification.

Oh, and this...

I can call my iPhone while it's downloading data and hear my custom voicemail greeting. Now HOW is that? Is that greeting sent to ATT? It did take a LONG time when I hit save.

brojimh

Bronze
Aug 1, 2007
Morris, AL
Have I mentioned to anyone today that I hat EDGE?

Sorry, I just need to say that now and again, else the pressure builds up and I might explode.

BTW, 3g. . .takes calls AND downloads data. Gee, what a great idea. . .why didn't Steve-0 think of that?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Have I mentioned to anyone today that I hat EDGE?

Sorry, I just need to say that now and again, else the pressure builds up and I might explode.

BTW, 3g. . .takes calls AND downloads data. Gee, what a great idea. . .why didn't Steve-0 think of that?
I believe it has to do with battery life. With the size of the current battery, it's life-expectancy would be much shorter if 3G were implemented, unless a larger battery were used, and then the size of the iPhone would have to be altered to accommodate the larger battery, and, well, you get the picture. Until they make a smaller yet longer-lived battery, we're screwed!:)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

Oh, and this...

I can call my iPhone while it's downloading data and hear my custom voicemail greeting. Now HOW is that? Is that greeting sent to ATT? It did take a LONG time when I hit save.
Yes, I agree with you about the missed call notification. They should have at least given us that to make up for the many missed calls we're gonna have!

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area

Oh, and this...

The greeting was never on your phone. Your Voicemail messages and Greetings are stored on a Voicemail server. When you check your voicemail all your phone is doing is calling the voicemail server, entering your mailbox number and password of some sort ( not sure how GSM does it, but expect very similar to CDMA ) and going from there. All voicemail messages and greetings are not stored on your phone.

Norwest

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
The greeting was never on your phone. Your Voicemail messages and Greetings are stored on a Voicemail server. When you check your voicemail all your phone is doing is calling the voicemail server, entering your mailbox number and password of some sort ( not sure how GSM does it, but expect very similar to CDMA ) and going from there. All voicemail messages and greetings are not stored on your phone.
I understand that the message gets sent to the server and the incoming messages are on the server. But when I press record and record a custom message that message gets stored on my iPhone, I think, until I hit save, which (i think) sends it to the server.

Which explains why it takes so long after hitting save for the operation to finish. Initially it does appear to save the custom greeting directly on the iPhone.

I'm going to test that theory by trying to play the custom greeting back on the iPhone in an area where I have no service just to see if a copy of that audio is left there on the phone.

Jul 28, 2007
Power cycle

If it is not the EDGE issue noted several times here it may be a registration issue.

I worked tech and data service support for AT&T. The thing to remember is to power cycle (turn off and back on) to prevent or troubleshoot the straight to vm issue. If you have not used the voice side of your service for long period of time (8 hrs+), your signal registration can time out to allow newer user registrations to go through the switch (which does have a max channel limit just cannot remember the # as it's been 2 years since leaving ang going to Apple). Also if you traveled across long distances w/o placing or reciving a call, you phone registrastion could time out if your phone scans for the switch you last registered on and times out when it does not find it. If you don't use the phone side of your iPhone a lot, it's safe to power cycle at least once a day. It's not necessary to power cycle daily if you place/receive calls a lot, however it is the 1st step in troubleshooting straight to vm calls. :) hope that helps.

sophie77

Dec 18, 2008
Could an app prevent iPhone from ringing?

Thanks for this info. I've been having the same problem and wondered what was going wrong, but I have noticed that even when I've been on wifi (this happened the other day when I was in my office using our wifi and the phone was sitting in front of me even), I've not heard the phone ring and one time when the phone was in my pocket, easily hearable (not in a crowded place and my ringtones are loud -- I have the volume up all the way because I was worried I wasn't "hearing" it ring), I wasn't on it using edge and I still didn't hear it ring, but I heard the alert sound that I had voicemail.

I have a lot of apps, could one of them be accessing in the background whether on edge or wifi? Has anyone heard of this? I realize I might be reaching, but I know I'm not going deaf (I don't think so anyway) and I'm worried I'll miss an important call that needs me to hear it and answer it.

One other piece of info, when I'm on our office wifi, it's supposed to time out after 15 minutes of being idle and you have to log in again. My colleague has this happen to him on his iPhone which is normal, but I never get kicked off, almost like I'm never idle, but I haven't used the phone for lengths of time so it should perceive to be idle. Could there be an app that is constantly accessing using the wifi?

Just wondering. Thanks for your patience.