No screen protector with 3GS?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I saw in another thread someone reported Apple told them not to use a screen protector on the phone for now. Anyone going to the store to pick-up the phone today, can you please ask the same question?

Let's get this thread going with what people have heard and what people are going to do RE: screen protectors.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I just looked at the online store and all the cases are compatible for both but it looks like screen protectors are compatible with the iPhone 3GS. They won't show compatibility unless you narrow your results and 'shop by type' - iPhone 3GS. I would trust the website, but to be safe I think I will still wait a little before putting it on.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/ho...s/cases?n=iPhone2&mco=MTI3ODM1NQ&s=topSellers

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I'm not talking about compatibility. I'm talking about what someone who bought the 3GS was told by an employee - not to put one on.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I would take that as compatibility. If it wasn't supposed to be put on because of the new coating then it isn't compatible. Like I said I think I will wait just to be safe it's not like that is #1 on my list. As long as I have a case on it then I am fine.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I am curious about this two because of the new screen technology.

I am still worried about scratches though. I would like to not put a protector (invisible shield standing by) but I am not sure yet.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
I'm not sure I see the point anyway. My 2-year old V1 has never had one, and the screen is still flawless. I have used the Seidio Innocase from the beginning, which holds the phone face-in so it doesn't ever contact anything except my greasy fingers. ;) The case is broken and barely stays on the phone now, but has served so well I bought one for each of the new S phones. The new case design is much better - it won't pop off when I drop the phone.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I'm trying to decide between invisibleSHEILD and the Crystal from Apple. But first I want to hear more about this...

TechnoPhobicGurl

Bronze
Jun 23, 2008
i already bought the crystal film for my iPhones, but i supposse ill wait and see how the new screen goes

macc55

Bronze
Jun 17, 2008
Whats the difference.What is the new screen made from? And what are the consequences if I do use one? Will it scractch or not stick?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
I thought the same thing...no way I'll ever scratch my phone...then three days ago I looked at my screen protector and there is a huge streak running across it. If that was on the phone, it would be screwed.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I'm not sure I see the point anyway. My 2-year old V1 has never had one, and the screen is still flawless. I have used the Seidio Innocase from the beginning, which holds the phone face-in so it doesn't ever contact anything except my greasy fingers. ;) The case is broken and barely stays on the phone now, but has served so well I bought one for each of the new S phones. The new case design is much better - it won't pop off when I drop the phone.

I don't use a case just invisible shield so I need one on the face because the glass touches the surface I put it down on if I put it face down.

This time around I bought a case for the back Case Mate, I really hate cases just because I like the phone to look like the original phone. The case mate was one of the only ones I found that seems smaller and lets the phone look like the phone, but since it doesn't go around the face the front glass is still exposed.

The only reason I got tired of the invisible shield around the back of my V1 phone is because since the back wasn't black after a while the IS started showing lint around the edges that you could see against the alluminum backing.

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
This has to do with the protectors interfering with the sensor on the display that know when you have put the phone to your ear.

When you raise it to your ear the display turns off. In some cases the phone display does not go off or comabck on when you lowere the phone from your ear.

Apple folks have been recommending that customers cut the top 1 inch of the protector off and then put it on the phone.

I would guess that the optically pure clear protectors are probably less prone to the issue while the anti-fingerprint protectors more prone.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Whats the difference.What is the new screen made from? And what are the consequences if I do use one? Will it scractch or not stick?
I think they MAY be worried that after the protector statically adheres to the phone that it could, perhaps, take some of the "coating" with it whenever it is removed.

JimD

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
New Market, MD. USA
Your mileage may vary (obviously) but I've found the screen to be amazingly resilient - and I used to have a very scratched up Treo 650 screen against which to compare it. The Apple screen seems pretty tough. A streaked screen protector does not necessarily equate to a scratched screen had there been no protector.

What sort of case were you using, and how did you scratch the protector on your current phone?

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
No idea how it got scratched. I mean, it has a ton of tiny tiny scratches, but this one is a decently thick one going across the screen. Like I said, it is on the protector, so I'm sure underneath is flawless.

I'm really more concerned about what to do on the 3GS because I am going to get it today and would go out tmorrow to get the case & protector...even though I'm sure the Apple store will be hell in a handbasket.

dblake15

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
I have decided that I am putting a screen protector on. I am not going to take the chance with this.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Here is what someone said they were told:

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Yes, I know, he posted that in this thread also. I'm asking if other people heard about this and if it is the case, etc.