No Service on iPhone 3GS

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
That's what's on my new 3GS phone since 9 AM! I was already on the phone with ATT and the only thing they can tell me is that they are having trouble with the 3G towers by me...this is so irritating! I never had this issue with my V1. I have a nice looking phone with all the cool aps and no phone service. Anyone else?

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
That's what's on my new 3GS phone since 9 AM! I was already on the phone with ATT and the only thing they can tell me is that they are having trouble with the 3G towers by me...this is so irritating! I never had this issue with my V1. I have a nice looking phone with all the cool aps and no phone service. Anyone else?
Sometimes phone companies have outages. It's really nothing worth getting excited about. Give it some time and they'll have everything fixed.

Remember that in the end, it just a cell phone - nothing with any long term relevance.

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
i have heard that AT&T has been having lag activating 3gs's...so just be patient and it should right itself in a day or so :)

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
It's relevant if it's used for work as well...at least to me. Yes, it's just a cellphone but it's also my means of communication for work, especially when you're out in the field. I'm also curious about the other guy from work, he has the 3g phone and he had signal and I didn't. I wonder if I should contact Apple to see if they can help me.

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
i have heard that AT&T has been having lag activating 3gs's...so just be patient and it should right itself in a day or so :)
Oh, my phone was activated on Sunday. I was able to place calls yesterday and just at around 9 AM today, I lost my signal and ATT tried the network reset with no success.

mitchellm4

Bronze
Jan 21, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Oh, my phone was activated on Sunday. I was able to place calls yesterday and just at around 9 AM, I lost my signal and ATT tried the network reset with no success.
hmmm...that sucks! I would try taking it to an att store and letting them play with it. if the store is close that it.

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Unfortunately, I don't have an ATT store close by, but maybe on my way to work tomorrow, if I continue to have no service.

NickT916

Bronze
Jan 4, 2008
i just got this issue this morning also, here is what happen... i received my iPhone and quickly plugged in to iTunes wanting to activate it... iTunes said that activation will take a while and i will be notified. so im like forget this junk! so i took my sim car out from my original iPhone and put it into the new iPhone, and it said the iPhone has been activate

so good deal right? wrong... since i tried to activate my new phone with new sim, it was still in progress... while it was in progress, i was able to use my original sim card (during new sim activation) then this morning i didn't have service, and i tried restarting and everything and nothing fixed it, i got home and checked email and i saw that i had one from Apple saying "my activation is complete" so then i put in the "new" sim card that i used to try to activate the new phone and i got service again.

so its better to just use your original sim card to activate your iPhone, this way you wont be stuff with no service after it activates the "new sim" card

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Unfortunately, I don't have an ATT store close by, but maybe on my way to work tomorrow, if I continue to have no service.
Which sim card are you using? Your previous one or the one that came with the phone? Unless you were activated in store.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
i just got this issue this morning also, here is what happen... i received my iPhone and quickly plugged in to iTunes wanting to activate it... iTunes said that activation will take a while and i will be notified. so im like forget this junk! so i took my sim car out from my original iPhone and put it into the new iPhone, and it said the iPhone has been activate

so good deal right? wrong... since i tried to activate my new phone with new sim, it was still in progress... while it was in progress, i was able to use my original sim card (during new sim activation) then this morning i didn't have service, and i tried restarting and everything and nothing fixed it, i got home and checked email and i saw that i had one from Apple saying "my activation is complete" so then i put in the "new" sim card that i used to try to activate the new phone and i got service again.

so its better to just use your original sim card to activate your iPhone, this way you wont be stuff with no service after it activates the "new sim" card
That's exactly where I was headed ^^^

I used someones upgrade and to get the phone to work I had to use the sim that came with it, then put mine in once it was activated with the new sim. What I didn't realize is that the person who's line I used got deactivated yesterday and got the no service in the signal area. It was easy to fix and all you have to do is use the one that came with the phone and activate it on iTunes. I called AT&T and once the old one is deactivated it is gone and cannot be reactivated so you will have to use the new one. They even said Apple preferred the new ones to be used.

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Just finished with the Apple tech support and was told to go back to the ATT store to get a new sim card since it's defective. Oh, joy!

DrG

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
Got the activation at the store on Sunday, using the new sim.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Maybe call AT&T tech support they would be able to give better information on whether it's defective or not. They can access it and tell whether or not it has a problem. When you call AT&T just tell the cs rep that you are having a sim problem and need to talk to someone in a technical department. And when you call the tech dept. and they determine it is defective they will be able to put a note on your account that you need a new sim from a store and for it to be free.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
they activated both ours with our old sim cards
Then the sims probably weren't deactivated and replaced with another sim. Once a sim is replaced then the new one has to be used.