"No Service" showing after restore.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jan 31, 2016
Not too sure if this belongs in the jailbreak section but it's probably connected.

Yesterday I tried to update my IPhone 3GS through ITunes and this caused my IPhone to get stuck in Recovery Mode. I'd Jailbroken this phone earlier in the year so I could use an old SIM card. I've now learned that if you update through ITunes after this it will cause the jailbreak to be cancelled. In any case, I then tried to restore the phone through ITunes and put it back to the original settings. This worked but then the IPhone wouldn't accept either the original SIM card it or the one I'd added after jailbreaking it. Somehow Itunes was able to get the phone back to its status before all of this started and now it is accepting my old SIM card and password. All my old messages and text that was stored before this are present. However, the main display is showing "No Service" so I can't make calls and Safari isn't working (although a Wi-Fi signal is being received). I'm not really sure where to start fixing this? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Attempting to update the firmware was a bad idea. Your phone is now restored to version 6.1.3, correct? This is the latest firmware for the 3GS. What type of unlock did this phone have prior to you restoring it (ultrasn0w software, Gevey SIM, IMEI)? It sounds like you had ultrasn0w prior to the restore. You will not be able to install it again since you updated your firmware and baseband. You will need to purchase an IMEI unlock on eBay if you want to unlock this phone. It's a permanent unlock. You have to know what carrier the phone is locked to before you can purchase one.

Jan 31, 2016
Attempting to update the firmware was a bad idea. Your phone is now restored to version 6.1.3, correct?
No, on Settings>About it's showing as 6.1.6 (10B500).

What type of unlock did this phone have prior to you restoring it (ultrasn0w software, Gevey SIM, IMEI)?
I'm not too sure what you're referring to. I know I used Redsn0w to jailbreak and untether it last year.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You'll need to buy an unlock on eBay or buy a Gevey SIM for 6.x. If you don't know what carrier it's locked to, you are not going to be able to purchase an IMEI unlock. There are sites online that will check the carrier that it's locked to.