No Service?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cascrapsky, Nov 8, 2007.

1. cascrapsky

cascrapsky New Member

After successfuly Jailbraking and Unlocking, i am getting "No Service" in the carier icon, i cant make calls.
    i can see my number in contacts.
    Anyone know how to fix this?
    I'm on T-Mobile US.
    I tried resetting the network and ran the AnySIM 1.1 twice after that and nothing changed.
    i also ran "onesim" and then "anysim" but still no luck.
    help please :(

2. Stevonw

Stevonw New Member
    Silver

Sounds like the same prob m mate had. I think you may have a corrupt baseband. Strangely enough though, i downgraded it to v1.02 and it unlocks and works no probs, but after going back to v1.1.1 and unlocking it doesn't work :mad:

3. vikas_arora80

vikas_arora80 New Member

Hi there,

I have bought an iPhone yesterday and today after using it for about 4-5 hours, I am getting "No Service" or a very weak signals. I am unable to make, receive the calls.

I have also tried the "scotch" tape method at "http://www.iPhoneatlas.com/2008/02/14/boosting-iphone-signal-strength-with-scotch-tape/"

Please help!

Its like my 400 USD getting wasted?
    How to get it exchanged under warranty?

4. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

Restore and reboot

5. OJsakila

OJsakila New Member

Hey I just stuck a piece of paper behind my sim card like the scotch tape thing and am quite pleased at my reception boost! Not that I thought I had a problem before, but wow!

6. gregarious2

gregarious2 New Member

No reception woes...

After a few weeks of flaky reception ( never great in best of times ) my phone reception has faded out to No Service unless I have a USB cable on it in just the right orientation. ( The rest of it works fine.) I've done several restores with no effect and have spent several hours with Apple Service on the problem. Even replacing the SIM card was a no-go.

After shipping it back to Apple, they've returned it unrepaired. ( After a drop last year I replaced the dented case along with the dead switch thus modifying the phone. At the time, $75 for the parts was cheaper than the $249 accidental damage repair fee. ) The loaner phone that they shipped me while mine was out being repaired has died but Apple Tech Support and I spent 3+ hours trying to get it to work. Fortunately, they have decided to waive the $29 loaner fee for the dead phone I couldn't use. But they kept telling me the new 3G phones would be out soon for much less than any repair.

7. rmfnla

rmfnla Member
    Bronze

I had the same thing happen so I checked out the on-line service guide on the Apple site.

One of the suggestions was to re-seat the SIM card, which sounded easy & straight-forward (like re-seating a board in a computer).

I shut off the phone, popped out the SIM, put it back in and turned the phone back on. It locked up completely, showing only the "Slide for emergency call" screen and not responding to any control actions.

I took it back to the Apple store and they told me the OS had been corrupted (they did not know how) and gave me a "new" phone.

I've only had this since February and I love it, but I've never had a phone crash before.

8. gregarious2

gregarious2 New Member

No reception woes

Reseating/cleaning/taping the SIM card was one of the things I tried before getting Apple involved. Even to the point of getting a replacement card from AT&T. Unfortunately, the nearest Apple Store is 185 air miles away from here. Shipping the unit back to them for repair just got me a "sorry, we don't have anything to do with modified phones" even though it was a cosmetic item to replace a dented case.

Oddly, the OS on the loaner phone appears to be corrupted since I get "static" on the display and very intermittent operation ( reset in the middle of calls and other operations ).

I really like the iPhone and it's become a very useful tool for my businesss. We run a B&B here and it's handy to be able to answer calls, check reservations,etc... while out and about. Fortunately, the 3G is a month off and at $199, it beats the $249 accidental damage repair fee if Apple decided to fix my phone.

9. Spencer :)

Spencer :) New Member

Well my phone is losing service every time there are any sight of clouds or at random but mostly clouds. Even the ones that are fluffy and white. It has happened more than 10 times. It doesn't go back to "Into Service" it stays with no service until i reboot it. It has at times taken me 2 reboots to get service back. My buddy has an iPhone and we can be right next to each other and i don't have service but he does. He hasn't had this problem AT ALL. I went to see an Apple genus just 45 minutes again and he says this is because Cingular is "updating" their towers. Buuuut pretty sure this is the phone's fault and i wasn't "qualified" to receive a new one. Any thoughts guys?

10. Eragon

Eragon Zealot
    Gold

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't. I've had this problem for a couple of weeks. When power downs and resets didn't work, I restored. Don't know for sure if it was the restore or the elimination of unknown, but specific, 3rd party apps. All is working OK, now.

Are you located in an area of poor GSM coverage? Are you jail broken? Are you unlocked?

11. Spencer :)

Spencer :) New Member

Nope just your joe schmoe iPhoner. I'm in Oklahoma so we don't even have mountains to go over

12. bmargolis

bmargolis New Member
    Bronze

I'm visiting an area where there is no 3G service. If I disable 3G, I get a good signal but if I leave 3G enabled, I get NO SERVICE. Is this normal, shouldn't the phone default back to the EDGE signal rather than not working at all? I'm using 2.0.2.

13. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

it should, but that doesn't mean that it actually will. I turned off my 3G and I never regained service once. No edge or anything. I had to do a full restore of the phone to get any type of service back.

14. BigCiX

BigCiX Zealot
    Gold

mine usually switches the edge when there is no 3G coverage.

15. stevetim

stevetim New Member
    Silver

double check to be sure you aren't roaming when you do get a signal.

16. llrickman

llrickman Contributor
    Silver

A week ago the got 3g active here in Lubbock. Before they had it active and working if i had my iPhone in 3g mode i would go to no service. now that we have 3g it will switch back and forth.

I don't know if thats a bug in the phone if just the nature of the network if 3g isn't an option . I thought it was strange myself

17. shandy

shandy New Member

Don't know if my problem is the same but relates to loss of service....

I live in Bangkok and the sim cards here are not quite the right shape for the 3G so I had mine cut and a foil computer strip to cover it when inserting into the phone.
    Worked fantastically for about a week but them started cutting out, telling me that there was no service and that my network had been lost. Inconvenient but not a major problem as i thought I could just manually re-select the network - nuh huh.
    the only way I can regain service is to put the card into another phone & have it recognize the network and then re-insert!It now cuts out and loses service maybe 3-4 times per day - bummer!

Any ideas out there?

Shandy

18. Ag-Ryan

Ag-Ryan New Member
    Bronze

I recently got my nice new 3GS, put in my old sim card and sync'd it to iTunes. Everything seems fine, except I am getting no service at all. I have moved around and my sister's iPhone in the same location is getting full bars. I have tried restarting and don't know what to do. Any help please?

19. IphoneTony

IphoneTony Zealot
    Gold

try taking the sim out and then back in maybe you did not put it in right or it is not clicked in all the way

20. Ag-Ryan

Ag-Ryan New Member
    Bronze

thanks, it says "sim faliure" for a flash of a second when i put in the sim card. should i call att or just go to the store and get a new card tomorrow?