" no SIM card installed" on new iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

darktone

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
I just got this over the weekend and was going to activate it tomorrow but when I was putting a cover on it I accidentally hit the power button and it said to install an unlocked and activated sim card. Is this normal? When I first got the phone it did not say this... what's up?

darktone

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Did you buy the phone from an Apple or AT&T store or did you buy it online somewhere? Did you buy it unlocked?
I bought it at an AT&T store and it was locked. I called the AT&T store today and they said it would do this until I activated it. Is this info right?

Last edited by a moderator:

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I bought it at an AT&T store and it was locked. I called the AT&T store today and they said it would do this until I activated it. Is this info right?

If you hit the power button by accident, before you activated it, it will do that because it is not activated.

Open latest iTunes and put the phone in the dock, and plug it into your main usb port it will then power up on its own and begin activation, it will be fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

darktone

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks! I bought one of those Otter box cases and was putting it inside the case when I noticed the message. I am going to activate it tomorrow night. :)

darktone

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
Well- I tried to activate my iPhone last night but it would not do anything because of the sim card message. I called the AT&T store again and this time they said it was a bad sim card and to bring it right out and they would install a new one. I went out and was waited upon right away. The girl put a paper clip in the hole and the little spring loaded stuff shot right out and she had to locate the parts. Then she asked what the number for the phone was- I said you don't understand it has not been activated and has no number. She then asked her boss some questions on what to do and they gave me a new sim card but instead of putting it in the phone they just told me to go home and try it and if this did not fix it that I should not bring it back to the store but to call Apple! They never even put the old sim card back in. I was pretty unhappy when I left that store. I tried to exchange it or return it but they would not do it unless I paid a 15% restocking fee nor would they help me fix it. I thought about reversing charges on my credit card on the way home. But for the good news when I got home I opened the box and the old sim card was sitting there along with the new one and I decided to try the original sim again and it worked and no I can use my phone. The phone is really neat but the AT&T service sucked. I am thinking about complaining to the manager or higher up.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Well- I tried to activate my iPhone last night but it would not do anything because of the sim card message. I called the AT&T store again and this time they said it was a bad sim card and to bring it right out and they would install a new one. I went out and was waited upon right away. The girl put a paper clip in the hole and the little spring loaded stuff shot right out and she had to locate the parts. Then she asked what the number for the phone was- I said you don't understand it has not been activated and has no number. She then asked her boss some questions on what to do and they gave me a new sim card but instead of putting it in the phone they just told me to go home and try it and if this did not fix it that I should not bring it back to the store but to call Apple! They never even put the old sim card back in. I was pretty unhappy when I left that store. I tried to exchange it or return it but they would not do it unless I paid a 15% restocking fee nor would they help me fix it. I thought about reversing charges on my credit card on the way home. But for the good news when I got home I opened the box and the old sim card was sitting there along with the new one and I decided to try the original sim again and it worked and no I can use my phone. The phone is really neat but the AT&T service sucked. I am thinking about complaining to the manager or higher up.

FORGET AT&T go to the Apple store they have first rate assistance there, if there is something wrong with the phone they will take care of it, they will probably even activate for you. So let us know.

darktone

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
FORGET AT&T go to the Apple store they have first rate assistance there, if there is something wrong with the phone they will take care of it, they will probably even activate for you. So let us know.

I live in a small city and we don't have an Apple store. But for now all seems to be working fine- I played with it all day and I am pretty happy with it. :)

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I live in a small city and we don't have an Apple store. But for now all seems to be working fine- I played with it all day and I am pretty happy with it. :)

You can also call Apple for help, that way they have a record of your problem and can advise you first hand what to do. They can even send you a loaner phone to exhange with yours. If it acts up again then call.