No Skype with jailbreak

xman

Bronze
Jun 9, 2008
orlando,fl
I jailbroke my 5 a week ago and have had no problems, until yesterday when I attempted to Skype.

I got a message saying that Skype doesn't work on jailbroken phones.

Is there an app that will allow it or is this just one of the drawbacks?

thanks

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Thanks Chris..you are correct...Looks like a phantom warning but skype still works. In fact, I'm no longer getting the warning about not working on a jailbroke phone.
I wasn't a 100% sure so I edited my post. I installed xCon and no pop-up and no issues on iOS 6.1.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
The developers of Skype are just warning users that they offer no tech support for those on jailbroken iPhones. The app works just fine.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I jailbroke my 5 a week ago and have had no problems, until yesterday when I attempted to Skype.

I got a message saying that Skype doesn't work on jailbroken phones.

Is there an app that will allow it or is this just one of the drawbacks?

thanks
The message doesn't say it doesn't work; it just says it's not supported on unmodified versions of iOS. This means Skype won't provide tech support if you're using their app on a jailbroken device and experience problems. Skype has had jailbreak detection for years, but they've never actually had it disable their app. I've used it a lot on my jailbroken phones over the years and I've always had a great experience with it. (y)

AdamDaieh

Bronze
Jan 17, 2013
California
At first I was having an issue with Skype after jailbreak so I re-installed it again and voila I was able to use it perfectly. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'm using xCon with iOS 6.1. But I'm using Beta 2 or 3 or something like that. I need it to make the stupid directv app work.
So one of the xCon betas does fix the jailbreak detection that disables the Direct TV app? Please list the beta version and how you install it in this thread when you get a chance. Thanks.