No sound from iPhone except ringtone

raguilar

Sep 18, 2007
This last week I bought some new headphones with my $100 credit at the Apple store. I got the vmode headphones. Well they work great. I can't use the stock iPhone headphones because they hurt my ears. Well, once I unplugged them from the iPhone, I didn't have any volume except for the ring tone! I would hear the phone ring but when I answered it, I couldn't hear the other person on the phone. Well I tried the head phones again which worked fine but when I disconnected them I still had no sound.

I went to the Apple store today (Tukwila, WA) to see what they would do for me. The replaced the iPhone right there on the spot once they had confirmed my issue! They did ask if I had tried to modify the phone at all and I told them no I hadn't.

So long story short, Apple came through with a problem iPhone.

Just for information, I got this on release day, it was at version 1.1.1 and have used the iPhone adapter in the past. I tried the new headphones with the new phone and it works fine.

Ron

spankbot

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Are you talking about the "[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica] V-Moda Vibe Duo"? How do they sound?

Anyhow, the issue you encountered is a common one - where the iPhone thinks that headphones are still plugged in when they aren't. The symptom being that the receiver speaker is dead, keyboard clicks are gone, etc.

You can fix this by putting the iPhone in iPod mode and plugging your headphones in and out many times. Between 3 and 10 times usually fixes it.
[/FONT]

raguilar

Sep 18, 2007
Yes, it is the V-Moda Vibe Duo. They work great. I was told that they were the ones that had the "clicker" on the microphone, but they aren't. I was told today that I can return them for a full refund and get the new ones. It was there mistake.

I did try to iPhone in iPod mode, plugging in the headphones and out many times, but I wasn't able to get it to fix the issue.

Are you talking about the "[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica] V-Moda Vibe Duo"? How do they sound?

Anyhow, the issue you encountered is a common one - where the iPhone thinks that headphones are still plugged in when they aren't. The symptom being that the receiver speaker is dead, keyboard clicks are gone, etc.

You can fix this by putting the iPhone in iPod mode and plugging your headphones in and out many times. Between 3 and 10 times usually fixes it.
[/FONT]

chris201

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
Is there a link on the Apple website that will let you look up the nearest Apple store to you? I have been trying to find out if there is an Apple store near me and am having no luck. I search and searched the Apple site and for some reason could not find a store locater or anything of that nature.

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Happened to me once the other day. I plugged in the ear phones and restarted the iPhone with them in it. When I took them out it was OK.

U

unhappyiphonebuyer

mac has become such scoundrels. I went to the store they acted like they never heard such a problem existed. they gave me a refurbished phone, even though my phone was only 8 weeks old and I paid $700. when I told them I could have bought a refurbished iPhone on ebay for a couple hundred they said that it was my problem... that was all they could do. so the refurbished phone did the same thing. immediately, while i was standing there in the store. I guess that was the reason the phone was returned in the first place by whomever had it before. this happened in front of the "genius".. schmucks the whole lot of them. mac has really become a terrible company. just watch their stock price go for a landslide down! wonder if anybody has started a class action suit yet?