No sound on iPhone 6

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rlkant18

Bronze
Oct 18, 2014
I just received my new iPhone 6 in the mail last night and sometimes I don't get a sound out of the speaker when I have the sound on. For example when I take a screenshot and the sound is on. Sometimes I don't get a sound and I have to put it on mute and then unmute and it works fine

Murphy47

Oct 13, 2014
I have the same problem. Sometimes sound works, sometimes it doesn't. Completely random as to what functions are affected. Can't duplicate in App Store, so just living with it.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I have the same problem. Sometimes sound works, sometimes it doesn't. Completely random as to what functions are affected. Can't duplicate in App Store, so just living with it.
Is it usually the bottom speaker? Music, Videos, game sounds and etc? If so, when you don't hear those sounds, try going to YouTube. Turn the sound all the way down, then all the way up. Then go back to the homescreen and turn the volume all the way up. That worked for me when I had that issue a while back.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Murphy47

Oct 13, 2014
Is it usually the bottom speaker? Music, Videos, game sounds and etc? If so, when you don't hear those sounds, try going to YouTube. Turn the sound all the way down, then all the way up. Then go back to the homescreen and turn the volume all the way up. That worked for me when I had that issue a while back.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.
Stupid spell correct. I meant to say Apple Store.
It truly is a random problem. Can be ANY sound. Notifications, music, calls. Sometime there just isn't any sound.
Never seems to happen when talking to a "genius" of course.
I will try your tip tho. Never know what will kick start things.
Thanks!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
@Murphy47 Restore to factory settings and run it for a while to test. You can apply your backup later if the problem persists after it's restored. If that fixes it, set it up from scratch. If it doesn't fix it, Apple will likely replace it even if you can't replicate it in the store. It's hard to say if it's software or hardware at this point, but I'm leaning towards software. You could try a hard reset and resetting all settings before restoring.