No Sound!

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
settings-->general-->reset-->reset all settings.

Also, plug the headphones in and out quickly.

captfd

Aug 23, 2009
I have had my I phone for a year or longer, love it! yesterday i lost my sound on the speeker. It has been in a Otterbox since i bought it, I know about the switch on the side and it is in the right position, i have tried every thing i know. It was working fine and i noticed it was lit up with a incomming call and that is when i noticed i could not get sound, No sound on ringer, or i pod eather, its like the speeker just went out but it was just setting on the arm of my chair. Can any one help me. I may just be to old for one ot theres phones. I went into settings, sound, every thing is on like it supose to be. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Dwight

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try a hard reset. Hold the home and power buttons at the same time for several seconds until the Apple logo appears (Ignore the "slide to power off").

captfd

Aug 23, 2009
I tried the hard reset right after i lost the sound, and i took your advice and tried it again, but still no sound.

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
Does the ringer not sound when you wear headphones? I cant remember. Anyway, if you have dust or lint in the headphone jack it may think there aree headphones attached and then you wouldn't hear anything through the speakers. A quick way to fix this is to blow a gust of air into the headphone port, though some recommend using canned air so there is no chance of getting moisture in there. Worth a shot.

captfd

Aug 23, 2009
I tried blowing with canned air, still no sound. The sound comes threw the head set just fine. What could of happened?

imamac

Bronze
Mar 23, 2010
I'd try that a couple more times, shutting down completely and then restart before you try to get it checked out just in case. I had to shoot air in there three or four times before it cleared mine out.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
To check if the headphone jack is stuck in the headphone mode use the rocker switch to turn up the volume. It should say (headphones) if that is the case. If you have been using an Otterbox case I doubt it is lint or dust in the port because the otterbox keeps that covered unless it is in use. If the switch is on, and the settings have the volume turned up, and you have tried the hard reset, the final place to go is a software restore as new. After doing that check to see if you have audio, if not you probably have a hardware issue.

captfd

Aug 23, 2009
I sure do thank all of you the advice u guyes have gave me, I have tried every thing i know plus all your ideas, No luck. When i turn up and down the volum it says ringer on the face so it is not stuck in headphone mode. I guess it is just a vibrate phone now until i get to a store i bought it from. Once again thanks every one. Captfd

captfd

Aug 23, 2009
well i had bad news and good news, I took my phone in to be checked, They tried all your suggestions, ended up saying it was in the softweair. Said i needed a new phone, HMMMM, I couldn't remember before i took it in how long i had owned it, they looked up the pruchase date and what do you know, i had 45 days left on the warinty. They gave me a new phone witch is great, but it is the updated one so i guess jailbreak is out of the question. Thanks for all the advice and help.
Captfd

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
That is very odd. Software related issues should be able to be resolved with a software restore. I would have guessed it was a hardware issue with a card or the speakers. Think positive though, a brand new phone is now in your possession.

MrPink1

Oct 7, 2011
I keep getting a message when I unlock my iPhone saying " this accessory is not optimised for this iPhone. You may experience noise caused by mobile interference and a decreased signal strength"
I have no sound unless I plug my earphones in. Can anyone help me?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is this when you connect it to the wall charger/computer or when you connect an accessory? What accessory are you using? If this is happening when it is not connected to anything, try a hard reset. If that doesn't work, restore it.

MrPink1

Oct 7, 2011
No it's not been soaked in water.

It all started when I plugged my phone into a docking station that wasn't suitable with my iPhone and now it still thinks it's in the docking station I think. I've tried resetting the iPhone and plugging it into suitable docking stations and it still dosent work.:(

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
You may have damaged your dock connector or you may have some debris stuck in there. If you have a some compressed air, gently blow the dust and crap out of your phone's dock. Did you restore the phone?