"No space left on device"

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So I know this is "Software/Third Party Apps" territory here, but I've narrowed down several annoying problems I've had recently with several apps to one apparently underlying problem. I just want to cast the net out as far as I can to see if anyone else has ever had this happen.

The two applications in question are Tunewiki and vWallpaper. Details are in the following threads:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/tunewiki-troubles.23862/

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/video-wallpaper-is-here.23852/

However, suffice to say that tunewiki can't seem to download lyrics and I can't add videos to the vWallpaper video folder. The common error message in WinSCP I get is (And I get this when I try to transfer lyrics or videos or anything to the appropriate folders):

scp: /Applications/TuneWiki.app/LRC/CYHW.lrc: No space left on device

Now, I know the applications folder can fill up, but I don't think that's the case. My wife's gotten that message in installer, but I never have. Just to be safe I deleted 10 megs of apps and that's more than I'm trying to transfer and still no good.

So something got messed up with my permissions I'm guessing. Has ANYONE had this happen to them? I really don't want to do a restore for two apps, but that's what it's looking like right now (cause they're effing cool apps that are worth it).

I've completely exhausted google on the subject. [crawling on the ground bleeding].... [gasping].... h e l p !

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Right after posting this I realized that these two apps are the last two I've installed and haven't installed any since.

So I tried to install a game and it did exactly what it did when I installed vWallpaper (got partially through the install then installer crashed to the home screen)

Why Can't I write to my iPhone anymore?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Probably dopey question, but have you already used BossTool to move fonts / ringtones / apps?
No, I've read too many issues to be happy about going that route, so I was trying to avoid it. Do you know the absolute limit of the app folder? Because, like I said, I took out 10 megs, so that should make space for more right? I can take out more if I thought it would help...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
No, I've read too many issues to be happy about going that route, so I was trying to avoid it. Do you know the absolute limit of the app folder? Because, like I said, I took out 10 megs, so that should make space for more right? I can take out more if I thought it would help...
I don't know that limit, sorry. I have used BossTool many times over (through various jailbreaks etc.) and never had any issues with it. In fact, I've not even had to move apps as yet - just ringtones and fonts.

Have a feeling the issue may not be with just removing stuff. Think BossTool may be your quicker solution. If you're feeling hesitant about using it, maybe just do ringtones at first, as they strike me as the least critical / potentially problematic ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Thanks, Patrick. I was really hoping you'd see this thread.

I'm going to TimeCapsule everything, backup ringtones and whatnot, and go to town with Bosstools. Will report back.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Thanks, Patrick. I was really hoping you'd see this thread.

I'm going to TimeCapsule everything, backup ringtones and whatnot, and go to town with Bosstools. Will report back.
Cool. I really hope it goes well, and believe it should. I am generally *very* impressed with most BigBoss apps and utilities ...

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well that plan shot the pooper once I realized I can no longer install anything.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Damn - can you still uninstall via Installer?
Yes, and here's the weird thing. I calculated my Application folder in WinSCP before I started uninstalling all this stuff. A bit over 37 megs. Then I uninstalled 10 megs of stuff and recalculated. No change. I tried to ignore that.

Now I just uninstalled 10 megs more stuff. Still no change. Those folders are gone (according to WinSCP) so why is it still calculating to the same size?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
More weirdness:

Just to make sure application folders were being deleted, I went to uninstall one more game... contrasense (though I doubt that matters)... lo and behold, my App folder calculation goes down a megabyte or so. Apparently enough to allow me to install Bosstools.

But before I go there, I've been uninstalling stuff left and right. Why would it only now start responding again? If I went over the Application folder limit, how could I go so far over before experiencing problems?

The other mindf***k is that I have a couple dozen more apps on my phone than my wife does and she gets the "low disk space" message after almost every install. But all her apps (including these two) work fine. And no SSH issues. I've never gotten that message before in my experience with my phone.

So weird.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Well, I've deleted all my games and everything works now.

Now I feel confident using Bosstools so I don't have this issue again.

I'd still love to know how I got so far in the hole, disk-space-wise.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wow those fonts take up a lot of space! Thanks again Patrick. You get two this time :D

I leave this post for searching posterity. That subject should help.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Wow those fonts take up a lot of space! Thanks again Patrick. You get two this time :D

I leave this post for searching posterity. That subject should help.
Sorry - I had to go do something (our first live chat talkcast thingie for my site) or would have stayed on the replies on this thread longer.

I don't know any great answers on the bizarro space calculation stuff you mentioned above - that's partly why I've just sort of entrusted all of it to BossTool.

Glad you were able to get it installed though and hope it helps get rid of some of those other odd issues you were having :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Everything's absolutely perfect. Oooooohm.

I'm now scouring the net for looped videos.