No Tethering in the OS 3.0 GM!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
Yeah I know... my carrier was there on the keynote screen saying 'Tethering ready'
They are going to be ready on the 17th since that is the public release

MrEous

Silver
Dec 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I would expect a carrier update to be sent through iTunes to make tethering available...so in essense, they're waiting on your carrier to ensure they (carriers) are ready for tethering.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
ok, so my tethering works on beta 5, but i don't have the hacked carrier update, if i install 3.0 GM will i lose tethering on att?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
ok, so my tethering works on beta 5, but i don't have the hacked carrier update, if i install 3.0 GM will i lose tethering on att?
You might, your best bet is to just update and NOT restore. But since you don't have the hacked carrier update then it might not even matter to you. They most likely removed it on the stock carrier file since AT&T has no plans for tethering in the near future.

Be aware AT&T might have a way to track your tethering use now so you might get a huge bill.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
You might, your best bet is to just update and NOT restore. But since you don't have the hacked carrier update then it might not even matter to you. They most likely removed it on the stock carrier file since AT&T has no plans for tethering in the near future.

Be aware AT&T might have a way to track your tethering use now so you might get a huge bill.
if they removed it on the stock carrier file how do i still have it? i used to have the hacked, but now i don't. will my carrier update again when i restore my phone?

i didn't even know it work till like 10 mins ago when i plugged into update it started to tether, but im on wifi at home anyhow so i just turned it off.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
if they removed it on the stock carrier file how do i still have it? i used to have the hacked, but now i don't. will my carrier update again when i restore my phone?

i didn't even know it work till like 10 mins ago when i plugged into update it started to tether, but im on wifi at home anyhow so i just turned it off.
I don't know how you kept it with the stock on because I put the stock one on for a period of time and didn't have tethering options. The carrier update has been the same on all the betas and on the GM release. Although on the newsest iTunes 8.2 you can not add carrier files anymore, but you still can on the 8.2 released with beta 4. Until AT&T gives the go ahead Apple won't release a carrier update to unlock tethering.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
3.5 is te stock one right? i have tethering under:

Settings>network>internet tethering> on/off

but i do not have the MMS icon.... WTH do i have going on here?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
3.5 is te stock one right? i have tethering under:

Settings>network>internet tethering> on/off

but i do not have the MMS icon.... WTH do i have going on here?
Yeah 3.5 is stock, 5.0 seems to be what any ipcc hack changes it to.

beta 5 and the GM release do not and will not have mms features unlocked until AT&T has their system ready for it. Although if you have the 5.0 carrier update like I do you can still use mms. I had the carrier update on beta 4 and updated, so it stayed. There is a long process to get the carrier update on the GM release.

Originally Posted by shutter13
I PM'd these instructions to someone, your welcome to use them, if they help.

Ok this is assuming you are using the official iTunes 8.2 and windows. I think a mac would be similar but don't have one so can't be sure.

1) install GM seed on iPhone.
2) restore from back up or set up as new
3) uninstall official 8.2
4) uninstall Apple mobile device support
5) install iTunes 8.2 tha shipped with beta 4

iTunessetupwindows.zip
6) move your iTunes library file (iTunes.itl) to a different location if it was updated with the official 8.2
7) open iTunes
8) update your ipcc file with this one

Update the same way you do the ipsw just change the file type to ipcc and navigate to the file
9) restart your phone and the mms options should be there
10) uninstall beta 4 iTunes 8.2
11) uninstall Apple mobile device support
12) reinstall official 8.2 and replace the empty iTunes.itl with the one you moved. You should be good to go, provided your account is provisioned for mms.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
yeah i saw that, thanks to shutter btw.... but how do i have tethering options on stock 3.5 carrier file? if you don't?

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
yeah i saw that, thanks to shutter btw.... but how do i have tethering options on stock 3.5 carrier file? if you don't?
Well I didn't have tethering on beta 4 which was when I switched back to 3.5 for a day or two so I guess I can't say for sure about beta 5 or the GM if I had it or not. I am on the 5.0 carrier file now and have it and mms.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I just updated to the 3.0 GM from beta 5 and I still have tethering and MMS. Life is good!

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I just updated to the 3.0 GM from beta 5 and I still have tethering and MMS. Life is good!
I still have both, but I am hesitant to upgrade to the 3GS because AT&T won't support it on launch and I don't know if I'll be able to change the ipcc on the new one. Lets just hope all the media bashing gets AT&T to work a little faster to have mms on launch.

ashwini

Bronze
Jun 2, 2009
India
www.ashwini.co.in
I just did a full factory reset and guess what?! I now have tethering! It works great! I guess there must have been some problem when upgrading from beta 5.

BlindSpoTT

Zealot
Gold
Dec 16, 2008
York, PA
I just did a full factory reset and guess what?! I now have tethering! It works great! I guess there must have been some problem when upgrading from beta 5.
well i know i didn't have it when i first did 3.0GM, but i just looked now and i do have it now.... i don't know when it got there...... maybe when i turned the phone off and back on.. idunno...

edit: just checked, it works too!