No Third-party Apps on iPhone Says Jobs

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
...“We define everything that is on the phone,” he said. “You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”
The iPhone, he insisted, would not look like the rest of the wireless industry.

“These are devices that need to work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them,” he said. “That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.”...In a similar vein, Jobs said in a MSNBC article that, 'Cingular doesn't want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up.'"

Link---->http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/technology/11cnd-Apple.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/01/12/jobs-dismisses-third-party-applications-from-iphone

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
i kinda thought that att had something to do with this... but Apples greed doesn't help the fact becaues they will be selling apps just like games on the ipod

diesel

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
NYC
makes no sense.............there are tons of third party apps for pocket pc based phones and NONE of them has ever brought down AT&T's network or the network of any other wireless carrier

just dumb excuses to hide the fact that it really does come down to money and that Apple wants a monopoly on all the applications on the iPhone so that they can cash in on it

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
-
just dumb excuses to hide the fact that it really does come down to money and that Apple wants a monopoly on all the applications on the iPhone so that they can cash in on it
You hit the nail right on the head! It's all about them getting money for apps they sell you and discouraging free 3rd party apps because they can't make money off them!

Fafafoooey

Bronze
Apr 26, 2007
makes no sense.............there are tons of third party apps for pocket pc based phones and NONE of them has ever brought down AT&T's network or the network of any other wireless carrier

I agree with the Apple wanting a monopoly, but I would say, would you rather have a Windows Mobile-based phone, that would crash and lag all the time? Or do you like having the OSX powered device that is stable and everything actually works? I know that the WM phones would not bring down the network, but it might bring up your stress level. :laugh2:

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
These articles are beyond old. He may have been slightly persuaded since January of 07.

Highly doubt it though. All he seems to care about anymore is money.

Kev1000000

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I agree with the Apple wanting a monopoly, but I would say, would you rather have a Windows Mobile-based phone, that would crash and lag all the time? Or do you like having the OSX powered device that is stable and everything actually works? I know that the WM phones would not bring down the network, but it might bring up your stress level. :laugh2:
I have used Windows Mobile before coming to the iPhone, and the OS itself never crashed, and it was stable as hell. Sure, programs here and there crashed themselves, but the phone and the OS were untouched, and continued working perfectly fine.

Now, with the iPhone, I randomly lose signal (I am convinced its a software issue), Safari randomly crashes (never happened with IE on WM), and without a reset every couple days, it becomes quite sluggish.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
The next Mercedes SL that Steve Jobs buys should be restricted to speeds under 40MPH and left turns only.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
These articles are beyond old. He may have been slightly persuaded since January of 07.
Yes indeed they are old--back then Cingular was still Cingular.

I hope Jobs wouldn't have been hypocritical enough to issue the "West Coast network go down" BS had it been AT&T. After-all he himself sold illegal blue boxes, made by Woz, back in the early '70s that really did screw around with the AT&T network of that time in order to make free calls.

Speaking of AT&T the damage-the-network FUD from Jobs is very similar to what the old AT&T used to say about connecting anything not blessed by them to "the network." AT&T lost that fight, and the RJ11 jack on your wall is proof of it.

--
Mike

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
well said Fa- well said

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
I have used Windows Mobile before coming to the iPhone, and the OS itself never crashed, and it was stable----Sure, programs here and there crashed themselves, but the phone and the OS were untouched, and continued working perfectly fine.

Now, with the iPhone, I randomly lose signal (I am convinced its a software issue), Safari randomly crashes (never happened with IE on WM), and without a reset every couple days, it becomes quite sluggish.
...and thats the main thing thats been in the mind of Steve Jobs.... STABILITY ...and what we also MUST understand is that we have the phone, Internet, email, ipod, wifi iTunes?! (come on man..i think you get my point) all on one mobile compact device called the iPhone...im lkn for my phone to be glitch free...which will come in time through updates...as far as the apps are concerned id rather wait on Apple based apps at least they wont glitch on me..and be a whole lot more stable than the rest of them...until then, im rejoicn yo! Glory to God in the highest!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
...It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.”
That seems like one of the key points. Personally, I'm more than fine with it if Apple wants to tightly control which apps can be used on the iPhone; if they have an SDK and some sort of certification program for developers (hopefully one that has strong quality controls but not financial hurdles that make it impossible for smaller / individual developers). That should help keep the platform as stable and solid as we all want it to be.

Just do *something* - get on with it and start actually encouraging and helping the third party apps arena.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
That seems like one of the key points. Personally, I'm more than fine with it if Apple wants to tightly control which apps can be used on the iPhone; if they have an SDK and some sort of certification program for developers (hopefully one that has strong quality controls but not financial hurdles that make it impossible for smaller / individual developers). That should help keep the platform as stable and solid as we all want it to be.

Just do *something* - get on with it and start actually encouraging and helping the third party apps arena.
i would like to say once more for the record, Apple is a corporation just like microsoft. They are on this earth to make money OF COURSE they want to charge for apps just like every other god damn phone. There is no difference from the iPhone than say the blackjack. I had to unlock that bad boy too. What made you think that Apple and att would let you do what ever you wanted? You live in a capitalistic country. And just like every other phone in the county you will have to pay for apps. I am sure 3rd party apps will make ot back to the phone, but you might frig up the phone just like i bricked my blackjack. Funny story really....anyway yell at me all you want but i think jobs is not off base here. He runs a company and needs to answer to his investors and board of directors. Heis right in saying the phone needs to work, and this is not a computer. It isn't. Deal with it.

prmdbr

Bronze
Jul 29, 2007
i would like to say once more for the record, Apple is a corporation just like microsoft. They are on this earth to make money OF COURSE they want to charge for apps just like every other god damn phone. There is no difference from the iPhone than say the blackjack. I had to unlock that bad boy too. What made you think that Apple and att would let you do what ever you wanted? You live in a capitalistic country. And just like every other phone in the county you will have to pay for apps. I am sure 3rd party apps will make ot back to the phone, but you might frig up the phone just like i bricked my blackjack. Funny story really....anyway yell at me all you want but i think jobs is not off base here. He runs a company and needs to answer to his investors and board of directors. Heis right in saying the phone needs to work, and this is not a computer. It isn't. Deal with it.
Don't Tase me Bro!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Where did I ever say I had a problem with paying for apps? I have no issue with that at all. Have owned Windows Mobile devices for many years and happily paid for good apps all along (never bricked any devices though). And here's a thought on friggin up the phone - if 3rd party apps were certified / encouraged / supported, we'd probably see a full, proper backup app (like Sprite / others on WinMo) and use that just before adding a new app, so risks would be minimized ...

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
Where did I ever say I had a problem with paying for apps? I have no issue with that at all. Have owned Windows Mobile devices for many years and happily paid for good apps all along (never bricked any devices though). And here's a thought on friggin up the phone - if 3rd party apps were certified / encouraged / supported, we'd probably see a full, proper backup app (like Sprite / others on WinMo) and use that just before adding a new app, so risks would be minimized ...
Well you just agreed with jobs then he said he doesn't mind 3rd party apps as long as its in a controlled environment.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Well you just agreed with jobs then he said he doesn't mind 3rd party apps as long as its in a controlled environment.
Honestly I don't care about agreeing or not with Jobs. And maybe I'm expressing myself badly (VERY possible at the best of times, nevermind a Monday morning). I'm fine with paying for good quality applcations. And believe that having an approval / certification program would be great. I just want to see Apple moving in the direction of getting 3rd party apps going ...