No USB 2.0 on my iMac 800MHZ

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH
As I read the specs I see that USB 2.0 is a requirement? I have an older iMac 800MHZ (Dome) that does NOT have USB 2.0. Does that mean I will not be able to connect it to an iPhone? Is there any such thine as a USB 2.0 adaptor I can plug into my iMac?

My wife has a G4 Dual 1.0 GHZ (MDD) and I think that is also the older USB and not the USB 2.0.

I am going to get an iPhone but I hope I don't have to buy a newer Mac to use it :(

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
As I read the specs I see that USB 2.0 is a requirement? I have an older iMac 800MHZ (Dome) that does NOT have USB 2.0. Does that mean I will not be able to connect it to an iPhone? Is there any such thine as a USB 2.0 adaptor I can plug into my iMac?

My wife has a G4 Dual 1.0 GHZ (MDD) and I think that is also the older USB and not the USB 2.0.

I am going to get an iPhone but I hope I don't have to buy a newer Mac to use it :(
Doesn't the base have three usb ports in the back? If your iPod will work in those ports, then the iPhone will probably work as well.

These are the requirements for a Nano:

Mac system requirements

• Macintosh computer with USB 2.0 port
  • Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later
  • iTunes 7 or later
So once again, if an iPod product works, then this should work.

Worse comes to worse, you can buy a new macbook.:)

iWant iPhone

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
the only difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 is the transfer speeds. 2.0 is roughly 40 times faster then 1.1 and is more Universal then the original.

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH
Doesn't the base have three usb ports in the back? If your iPod will work in those ports, then the iPhone will probably work as well.

These are the requirements for a Nano:

Mac system requirements

• Macintosh computer with USB 2.0 port
  • Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later
  • iTunes 7 or later
So once again, if an iPod product works, then this should work.

Worse comes to worse, you can buy a new macbook.:)

Yes my iMac has 3 USB ports. Yes I have a iPod (base) plugged into one of them. Hopefully my soon to be acquired iPhone will work then. :)

Yeah if it doesn't then I'll just run right out and buy a new Macbook.....sure.........right.......I'll just do that. ;)

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH
the only difference between USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 is the transfer speeds. 2.0 is roughly 40 times faster then 1.1 and is more Universal then the original.

I understand that 1.1 is slower. I just hope the iPhone is backward compatable since I don't have 2.0. I don't care that syncing will be slower. I just wonder why the specs read "Mac with USB 2.0 port".

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
Get a USB 2.0 hub. Probably cost you around $10-15. Basically it's a cord that connects to your USB 1.1, and gives you 2-4 USB 2.0 ports.
That would be a complete waste of money. It wouldn't do anything beneficial. The iPod and iPhone will work with usb 1.1 its just going to be hella slow. I used to have usb 1.1 in my old machine.

Its time for you to upgrade man they haven't sold usb 1.1 in machines since 2001.

jphawkins

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
Cartersville, GA
That would be a complete waste of money. It wouldn't do anything beneficial. The iPod and iPhone will work with usb 1.1 its just going to be hella slow. I used to have usb 1.1 in my old machine.

Its time for you to upgrade man they haven't sold usb 1.1 in machines since 2001.
It wouldn't be a waste of money if he doesn't plan on upgrading.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
It wouldn't be a waste of money if he doesn't plan on upgrading.
I can see buying a hub if your out of ports. But its not gonna magically make your transfer speeds faster it will actually slow them down. The way this thread is going it sounds like davidaz feels like this hub will give him usb 2.0 speeds when in fact it won't. All usb 2.0 devices will work with 1.1 but it will just be slow as balls. It took a couple hours to put like a thousand songs on my old iPod with usb 1.1. I shutter to think of the fact of filling it up with movies and music at the same time.

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH

So you are saying that a hub will only give me more ports, not 2.0 speed. Thanks. I don't need a hub then. Now I guess my question (which I think was answered down the thread) is will the iPhone plun into my USB 1.1 port and work? I see that it will :)

A new upgrade Mac is just not in the picture for me right now. I am recovering from other finacial issues and the iPhone will set me back a bunch.......but I gotta have it.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
So you are saying that a hub will only give me more ports, not 2.0 speed. Thanks. I don't need a hub then. Now I guess my question (which I think was answered down the thread) is will the iPhone plun into my USB 1.1 port and work? I see that it will :)

A new upgrade Mac is just not in the picture for me right now. I am recovering from other finacial issues and the iPhone will set me back a bunch.......but I gotta have it.
Then I am glad I could save you $10-$15. Just be patient when you are putting your stuff on your phone just start the transfer then go watch a tv show or something so you don't think about it. lol

jphawkins

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
Cartersville, GA

Actually, I believe they do give you 2.0 speeds.

I'd research it, but I'm 90% sure.

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH
It's been a while since I've seen one in use, but they were great machines in '02. I'll bet it still works just fine.:)
This ole iMac 15" 800MHZ does just fine for what I do. It works great! Sure I want a new one but it's not going to happen soon. My wife has the G4 Dual 1.0Ghz MDD and she uses hers more than I do mine and she is in need of an upgrade too. I need to sell her G4 MDD and get her a new Intel machine first. :)

Davidaz

Jun 2, 2007
Columbus OH
Actually, I believe they do give you 2.0 speeds.

I'd research it, but I'm 90% sure.
Well the one you gave me a link to on ebay did not say anything about giving 2.0 speeds. I'll do a little more research. I just am not in any hurry, if the iPhone will work on my USB port that I have I'll be happy.

jphawkins

Bronze
Jun 9, 2007
Cartersville, GA
I know what I am talking about mate. Thats like saying if I put a ferrari battery in my honda I am going to be able to get ferrari speeds its just not going to happen.
You can't compare cars and computers.

Exchange a 512mb stick of RAM with 1 gig and you are going to get 1 gig speeds ;)

Same with everything about a computer...everythig was made to work together.

rebelace

Bronze
May 30, 2007
Beaumont,Texas
www.thechadburge.com
Well the one you gave me a link to on ebay did not say anything about giving 2.0 speeds. I'll do a little more research. I just am not in any hurry, if the iPhone will work on my USB port that I have I'll be happy.
Trust me trust me trust me man. I have been in the same boat. Use common sense here man you have a usb 1.1 board in your machine you plug in a usb 2.0 hub into a usb 1.1 board how is that going to magically make the usb 1.1 board any faster. When you plus a "Hi-speed" usb 2.0 device into a "Full speed" usb 1.1 board the usb 2.0 device will just revert to full speed.