No USB capabilities; other options for syncing w/ iTunes on PC?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by phoneqs, Jul 22, 2013.

1. phoneqs

phoneqs New Member

Long story short, Apple is saying my iPhone 4S has water damage but when and how is a mystery. A local repair guy put in a new connector port (there was a tiny bit of corrosion on a couple pins) but says there is still an issue with the motherboard that prevents the port from being recognized with a USB cable. The master reset he did allows the phone to charge with a cable through a plug, my PC, or even the dock on my stereo. However, the port does nothing else. My PC does not recognize the phone in any way and my stereo does not recognize it either.

I am trying to see if there is any way to make my PC recognize the phone using Wi-Fi. I would like to transfer files using itunes--music and audiobooks specifically. Or, is there a way to transfer iTunes files from iPhone to iPhone (I still have my old 3GS which I have been using while the 4S was being repaired)?

So far, anything I have found requires at least an initial hook up to the PC with a cable which is impossible. One app I did find (Bump) has been upgraded so that the current downloadable version no longer allows for the ability to transfer files with iTunes.

Are there any options out there for me?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is it jailbroken?

3. phoneqs

phoneqs New Member

No it is not. I would jailbreak it, but it my understanding that to do so I would need to be able to connect to my PC. I am in quite a predicament and would consider any options anyone could come up with!

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm not sure of a way to do this wirelessly without a jailbreak.

So you the music on your phone was not purchased in iTunes and is not backed up anywhere? You no longer have the computer you used to sync it onto the phone?

5. phoneqs

phoneqs New Member

I have music and audiobooks in iTunes on my PC that I had previously moved to my phone. Most were not purchased through iTunes. The master reset to the phone wiped my phone totally clean, so it acts as if it has never been connected to my PC. I can't find a way to make my PC recognize it either since the port no longer works as a USB. I can back up Contacts and Calendar with iCloud using iCloud.com. I found apps and ways around for most everything else. But, I cannot find a way to get anything I had in iTunes on my PC to my phone since my phone is basically starting fresh and has no USB abilities through the cable.

Can you jailbreak a phone wirelessly? Jailbreaking is the only way I can find to get around this issue.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, you cannot jailbreak it wirelessly.

Okay, I misunderstood and thought the situation was reversed and you needed to get media off the phone rather than onto it.

You could use an app such as DropBox or AirSharing to transfer music you didn't purchase in iTunes, but you won't be able to get that music into the iPod app. You'll have to access the music from the app you choose to transfer it with. You can download itunes-purchased songs form the cloud. Go to iTunes > More > Purchased > Music to download them again for free.

7. phoneqs

phoneqs New Member

I will try your suggests and see if anything works--it will be frustrating if not, but things could be worse!

Thanks so much for your help!

8. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

Have you tried setting up iTunes to sync with your phone via wifi rather than the cable?

-rb

9. phoneqs

phoneqs New Member

You can't set up iTunes to sync over WiFi until after it has been plugged it one time to your PC. :(

10. gilly1969

gilly1969 New Member

W
    Well, well I also logged on to report exactly the same problem. Using Windows 7 64bit PC. For a week now I my PC cannot recognize the iPhone 4S. All tricks have failed.