No Volume Available

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

nagyg

Bronze
Aug 2, 2009
On my jb 3Gs 3.1.3 no sound from speaker when using iPod, youtube, pandora, etc. The speaker is still working when I make phone calls. Some apps display a "No voulme available" error msg. Everything works fin
e with the earphones. Hard resets don't fix it ....

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Check your dock connector and make sure there's nothing stuck nor any liquids spilled in there. If something is shorted, it could think it's connected to an audio dock system as that's the same sort of message you get.

nagyg

Bronze
Aug 2, 2009
Check your dock connector and make sure there's nothing stuck nor any liquids spilled in there. If something is shorted, it could think it's connected to an audio dock system as that's the same sort of message you get.
Hmm. This could be it - I also noticed that I get the "This device is not authorized to work with this iPhone" (or something like this), allthough nothing is plugged into the connector. I'm currently restoring and I will check as soon as it has completed.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Turn the phone off and use a Q-tip with some 100% isopropyl alcohol to swipe the pins in the dock connector. Don't use too much cleaner. If you don't have 100% iso alcohol, use can use some with a bit of water in it.... just make sure you let it dry THOROUGHLY before turning it on. I mean over an hour near a mild heat source (a lamp).

nagyg

Bronze
Aug 2, 2009
I restored the iPhone and I still have the same problem. The speaker is fine (works with the phone), so there must be something stuck in the connector that makes it think it is connected to a device. How do I clean it out? I tried a paper clip and air but neither worked ...

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
Hmm. This could be it - I also noticed that I get the "This device is not authorized to work with this iPhone" (or something like this), allthough nothing is plugged into the connector. I'm currently restoring and I will check as soon as it has completed.
You can also get that message if you're using a bum cable (like a cheap one off eBay). However, if nothing is plugged in at the moment, then like psylichon said, something's probably up with the connector and you need to clean it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nagyg

Bronze
Aug 2, 2009
You can also get that message if you're using a bum cable (like a cheap one off eBay). However, if nothing is plugged in at the moment, then like psylichon said, something's probably up with the connector and you need to clean it.
I cleaned it with alcohol - still not working. Read on cnet forum that some people could resolve this by repeatedly connecting and disconnecting earphones, but that did not help me either ....

Last edited by a moderator:

changer

Sep 4, 2010
Fixed! - Simple

Bad dock connector need to replace
Okay, just had same problem after buy and try new FM transmitter dock. Finally tried replug iPhone 3gs back into transmitter dock (didn't even have the dock plugged in or powered on), unplugged the iPhone and instantly the speaker worked again and no more "No Volume Available" message. Sweet! Actually had this happen few days previous as well after using another connector (tho didn't realize til now that was what caused the problem). Had bought and tried a portable battery booster (one of those AA battery things), it wouldn't work with the iPhone but after having plugged/unplugged it, couldn't get the iPhone volume to work and had no speaker sound. Anyway, try plug your iPhone back into whatever connector you last used and unplug it again. Worked for me! (If doesn't work right away for you, you may want to try unplugging connector with some audio actually playing at the time, or start up some audio app and try even if the audio isn't playing at that moment). Mine worked just by doing a replug/unplug. Hope works for everyone else too!

changer

Sep 4, 2010
nagyg: Are you on iOS4 on your iPhone? I've heard there are issues of this very nature with iOS4 on the 3g/3gs, (it's an iOS4 glitch on 3g's, tho supposedly addressed in the latest update?). I'm using iOS 3.1.3 on a 3gs, so my "replug/unplug fix" worked on it. Did you try the plug/replug/unplug routine while audio was playing on your iPhone? If not, maybe try that. I also heard that you may have to do the replug/unplug several times before it will reset. (thankfully not the case for me). Wish I had other ideas for you (other than try a full Restore on the iPhone which of course you've already done). Will post if discover anything new for you. Good luck!

nagyg

Bronze
Aug 2, 2009
I'm on 3.1.3 jb with spirit and unlocked with ultrasnow. I have tried plug/unplug while playing music - no luck. That there is no volume from the speaker is especially annoying with the navigation app, but I guess I will have to live with this until I can savely exchange it for a refurbished one that can be jailbroken - 4.1? (I have the extended warranty).

changer

Sep 4, 2010
nagyg: Sorry to hear. I too spirit jb, but no unlock. Have you installed any recent apps from App Store or Cydia that you can recall? (I know it's hard to remember them if you have many like me!) Perhaps some app setting is over-riding the speaker output somehow. Just a thought. (I've had a few apps that mess things up sometimes). If you can think of any recent installs just before your problem began, maybe try delete them? Worth a shot maybe. Can always reinstall them after. Hope you get it working!

nagyg

Bronze
Aug 2, 2009
nagyg: Sorry to hear. I too spirit jb, but no unlock. Have you installed any recent apps from App Store or Cydia that you can recall? (I know it's hard to remember them if you have many like me!) Perhaps some app setting is over-riding the speaker output somehow. Just a thought. (I've had a few apps that mess things up sometimes). If you can think of any recent installs just before your problem began, maybe try delete them? Worth a shot maybe. Can always reinstall them after. Hope you get it working!
That's what I thought must have happened: I updated a bunch of applications and after that it stopped working. But even a restore to the factory settings did not bring the volume back ... :(

iPirate

Apr 2, 2011
might have figured it out.

On my jb 3Gs 3.1.3 no sound from speaker when using iPod, youtube, pandora, etc. The speaker is still working when I make phone calls. Some apps display a "No voulme available" error msg. Everything works fin
e with the earphones. Hard resets don't fix it ....

I've got the same problem on my iPhone... figured out a pattern after all this time- it randomly goes on silent mode and volume not available message every morning, and sometimes gives me "this device is not compatible with iPhone" message with nothing connected with no explanation.

till I realised I shower ever morning with my phone in the bathroom. the humidity seems to very consistently conuse the little port at the bottom. make sure there's no dust or anything piled up in there from your pocket. this might not help you personally but I'm sure someone is going to come across this and realise they have the same problem!