No way to mute notifications during a call? really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by translux, Nov 10, 2011.

1. translux

translux New Member

So switched back to 4s after a year or so with an Evo, love everything but the incredibly annoying alerts during a call. I spend must of my day on my phone and get tons of email, texts and alerts from the various apps.
    I can hardle get a sentence out before something bings, pings or chirps.
    Callers think I'm playing slots in Vegas.
    There must be a way, if not this is a MAJOR design flaw.
    TL

2. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

The person on the other line does not hear this. It is in your ear piece. Not the line.

Also, I think if you have your phone on mute you won't hear it either

3. translux

translux New Member

When using the handset and not an earpiece callers hears them for sure.
    Mute yes but its not practical to hit mute/unmute during and after every call.

If this is not resolvable I'd say it's a show stopper for me.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I am quite certain and I even tried it that the other person can not hear your alerts. It comes over the earpiece during a call and not the speaker.

5. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Nope. No one can hear it on the other end. The sound is going directly to your ear. Again, it's not over the line. And I mean mute as in put the phone on vibrate, the switch on the side of the phone. If it bothers you that much.

Sell your phone and buy another EVO if it makes u happier

6. translux

translux New Member

It still bothers me to no end!
    Every other phone I have owned is smart enough to know your on a call or in an app does not invade with alerts!

7. translux

translux New Member

Easy killer, I still like it better just need to find a way to make the alerts smarter.
    I can't be the only one that finds this hugely annoying :mad:

8. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

It's annoying yes, but it happens to me once in a blue moon, not enough to make me go that mad. Try decaf.

9. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

Have you turned the phone to silent yet?

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I've had this happen a few times and it is annoying as hell !

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I think I generally prefer hearing the notifications. But there has been a time or to when I was assaulted with a cacophony of notification sounds and I thought enough is enough already. I will try and mute next time it happens.

But nothing was worse than what happened to me right after installing the first beta of 5.0.1. Somehow I must have started playing a song right before I called my girlfriend. Well when call connected the music resumed just as call connected--and it was loud in my ear. I asked if she was in a loud place because the music was loud and she said yes. Well since I assumed she could not a hear a think, as it seemed it surely must be BLASTING by her if I could hear it so clearly. So I started singing along. Loudly. Suffice to say she could not hear the song I was hearing at all but could hear me singing just fine. She thought I was serenading her lol.

Michael

12. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

This same thing happened to me last night! Well almost the same thing. I was driving and listening to some music over blutetooth in the car. Right when I went to pause the music a call came in (after I paused). When I picked up the call transferred over bluetooth to the car and the music played in the background. Only could be heard on my end too it turned out.

Another goofy thing that happened is i had pandora going through bluetooth to the car speakers, then i plugged the phone into the car and my iPod music started playing....on top of the Pandora music! 2 songs at once, that was weird.