Noise canceling mic

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
What exactly does the noise canceling mic (at the top, next to the headphone jack) do? Before you say it I know, cancel noise:p Had no luck finding the answer elsewhere.

Jmbaker429

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 28, 2010
Florida
What exactly does the noise canceling mic (at the top, next to the headphone jack) do? Before you say it I know, cancel noise:p Had no luck finding the answer elsewhere.
I am pretty sure it is for and I'm not being a smart @$$ but canceling noise( I know you already said that) but canceling noise for the person on the other end of the call or also for taking video. I know I have been In some noisy situations trying it out and the people I have been talking to have said they cannot hear much background noise at all. Also on the video side of it roofmonkey recently took some video at a concert first holding the phone normally and the sound was loud and distorted. Then took a second clip with holding his hand covering the normal mic and allowing sound to come in only through the NC mic and it was night and day difference. Way clearer using just the NC mic. You should ask him (roofmonkey) I'm sure he probably has the videos still or they are on YouTube and you could hear the difference. Sorry for the long winded response.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Thanks, not long-winded at all. I appreciate your making the effort to answer.

I'm still not clear on what it does- work instead of the main mic or in conjunction with it? And, how does it make the difference, is it based on size? And if it's better, why not just the one mic?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The NC mic is for both you and the party you are speaking with. It samples the "room tone" and uses what it picks up to filter that noise out compared to what the mic at the bottom of the phone is picking up. That is why even in a noisy bar or sporting event, the person you are talking to can hear you perfectly. It's also why you can hear them a bit better than without it.
They have NC headphone for range shooting and what they do is cut the outside noise when it passes a certain level, like from a gunshot, yet allow you to hear someone speaking to you just fine.