Nokia 808 Pureview

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Anybody can slap a 41mp camera on a phone and call it innovation, the fact is that it isn't, it's just a phone with a 41mp camera on it.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Anybody can slap a 41mp camera on a phone and call it innovation, the fact is that it isn't, it's just a phone with a 41mp camera on it.
Especially since "...the 41 megapixel figure is really misrepresentative, not to say untrue. It doesn’t take 41-megapixel photos in any way, shape, or form."

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
The details say that it's taking 41MB of raw data and saving an 8MB file improved by the process.

Just the fact that the competition is pushing larger sensors is a plus to me. The hope being that that tech makes its way to other devices, yours and mine.

Sometimes I find myself wanting a DSLR but the phone cam is pretty much responsible for catching the kids as they grow. Anything that improves that is great in my book.

It's not a knock on the iPhone but a bigger sensor, bigger optics isn't something anyone else is attempting.

Sent from Tapatalk

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
Then buy a DSLR, you really wanna look ridiculous at your son's wedding taking photos with your phone? You can't be that cheap :D

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Then buy a DSLR, you really wanna look ridiculous at your son's wedding taking photos with your phone? You can't be that cheap :D
The oldest is 5 yrs old and while I'd like a DSLR for better pics, it's really too bulky to be a daily. We have a 14 MB prosumer camera but only pack it for special occasions. The phone cam does the volume work because of its constant availability. Hence why I like any improvement in the tech.

The 4S pushed things with its optics and that's being copied. I'm hoping this new tech from Nokia gets the same respect.

Sent from Tapatalk

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
The oldest is 5 yrs old and while I'd like a DSLR for better pics, it's really too bulky to be a daily. We have a 14 MB prosumer camera but only pack it for special occasions. The phone cam does the volume work because of its constant availability. Hence why I like any improvement in the tech.

The 4S pushed things with its optics and that's being copied. I'm hoping this new tech from Nokia gets the same respect.

Sent from Tapatalk
So you would rather pack that ugly thing around? there's plenty of cameras that aren't bulky, you just haven't looked. but anyway, I dare you to buy it when it comes out.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
A 41 mega pixel sensor? You realize how large the files would/will be with something like that.
I was shooting a wedding for someone, actually a paying gig, and I walked in with my iPhone and held it up... Gave directions to the wedding party, etc... The grumbles from parents behind me was priceless. Almost as much as the looks on everyone's faces. Lol
I of course broke out the big camera to do the real shooting with.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
So you would rather pack that ugly thing around? there's plenty of cameras that aren't bulky, you just haven't looked. but anyway, I dare you to buy it when it comes out.
I'm not saying that I'd buy this particular phone. It's Symbian for sugars sake. I'm saying that I like the fact that someone is pushing in this direction. I don't know how they'll manage aesthetics and the large components because yes this particular model is ugly. In any case Symbian is a dinosaur and Nokia knows it's out. My only hope is that Nokia is using this release to hint at the technology. And that that tech influences other platforms. If that's not appealing to you until Apple embraces it, well that's your choice.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
A 41 mega pixel sensor? You realize how large the files would/will be with something like that.
I was shooting a wedding for someone, actually a paying gig, and I walked in with my iPhone and held it up... Gave directions to the wedding party, etc... The grumbles from parents behind me was priceless. Almost as much as the looks on everyone's faces. Lol
I of course broke out the big camera to do the real shooting with.
The stored file is around 8mb. The 41mp is in reference to the raw data being captured.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
The stored file is around 8mb. The 41mp is in reference to the raw data being captured.
Ok, just read the story, to be honest. So I spoke out of turn, as usual. Hahaha

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I'm not saying that I'd buy this particular phone. It's Symbian for sugars sake. I'm saying that I like the fact that someone is pushing in this direction. I don't know how they'll manage aesthetics and the large components because yes this particular model is ugly. In any case Symbian is a dinosaur and Nokia knows it's out. My only hope is that Nokia is using this release to hint at the technology. And that that tech influences other platforms. If that's not appealing to you until Apple embraces it, well that's your choice.
I've always had a Nikon, big or small, I'm not out to replace that even if Apple came out with a DSLR. Stop being a troll I said.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I've always had a Nikon, big or small, I'm not out to replace that even if Apple came out with a DSLR. Stop being a troll I said.
Ah, sorry about the Apple reference but your opening posts and others lately seem to pick on me just for the sake of picking on me whether or not the content is worthwhile. Even if has nothing to do with either iOS or Android, you make me feel like that's what's at issue. Maybe its just my read.

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Looks nice, Benny. The only DSLR I ever used before was my friend's SONY. Borrowed it when I was on a trip before, but when I came back he sold it as he wanted money for an amplifier. I would have bought it from him if I had known, but probably for cheaper than the price he sold it for. It was a very nice, lightweight camera that took very nice photos. The auto-sensor was great, too, when it came to lighting optimizations and such.