Nokia copies iPhone

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
The way I look at it.... Look how many companys tried to copy the iPod.... And did a really piss poor job of doing it. Me personally, ill stick with the real deal, not to mention i really haven't impressed with any of Nokia's products since the TDMA days, back when TDMA was top notch service you couldnt beat a nokia phone, but now....... Heh

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
It'll probably sell worse than a regular nokia phone. Honestly, I would be embarrassed walking around with that! Even the commercial is like the iPhone lol. The iPhone and Apple in general is a status symbol, no regular mobile phone manufacturer can compete with that. At the end of the day nokia is an old mobile phone manufacturer, that is all.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
These copies of the iPhone could be the litmus for Apple to prepare to introduce newer models or revamped firmware. That is, if they see any type of dent in their touchscreen phone market by other companies topping Apple's current iPhone features.

You know, currently there is a lot of complaining about lack of features on the iPhone. But to Apple's advantage, we all still have their product, and are using it daily as much as we need. There is really no outside force making Apple update features such as other phone makers copying the iPhone.

Competition from Nokia or any other company is good for us.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Nokia put the camera onto the mobile phone and everyone copied that, I guess you could say almost every phone released since the Nokia 7250 is a wannabe, but we don't say that do we. And let's see in two years how many phones have GPS in them thanks to the N95. Nokia's been experimenting with touch-screen technology for years and I wouldn't say that Nokia are copying the iPhone, they're just exploiting a new market that Jobs opened up. I'd much sooner have a Nokia as well. Better and removable battery, no network exclusivity, homebrew, 3G, etc. What exactly has Nokia used that hadn't been used before the iPhone? Yes it looks like an iPhone, but if Nokia said they were making a touch-screen S60 device (which they did long before the iPhone was announced) this is exactly how I would expect it to look. A simple rectangle with a screen, and Nokia were only advertising the fact that they are producing and interface like this, the finished product could be totally different.

*edit*
BTW, I expect this is fake.

*another edit*
It's not fake.

Twinnie

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Some people seem to think that Apple patented the rectangle. Really, how far can you deviate from the iPhone design when designing a touch-screen phone? Most touch-screen phones before the iPhone were shaped like that, what makes people think they're gonna change it now?

My current contract doesn't run out til March and I was hoping to be nicely lined up for iPhone v2 but I expect I'll be getting this now instead since it's predicted for 2008. That said, knowing Nokia we'll have it in time for Christmas 2009.

*edit*
Here's the complete clip that the nPhone stuff is taken from. I'll give the Apple fanboys this, they have copied the iPod scroll wheel shamelessly. But then I guess it was a good idea and it looks like Nokia are using it well. I like the look of the new interface, Nokia have been using the same one since they started out and with all the features there are to browse now it was time for a change.

Aug 30, 2007
You guys crack me up. "Nokia Stealing From iPhone" LOL, first off, Apple stole the very name iPhone from Cisco. Also, Apple got the idea to get into the cell phone businesss because of Nokia's success.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
You guys crack me up. "Nokia Stealing From iPhone" LOL, first off, Apple stole the very name iPhone from Cisco. Also, Apple got the idea to get into the cell phone businesss because of Nokia's success.
"If there is something good in the world then we copy with pride," was what Anssi Vanjoki, Nokia's Executive VP and General Manager of Multimedia, said when confronted about their new product's likeness with Apple's crowd-favorite.
taken from the original link in my first post.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It'll probably sell worse than a regular nokia phone. Honestly, I would be embarrassed walking around with that! Even the commercial is like the iPhone lol. The iPhone and Apple in general is a status symbol, no regular mobile phone manufacturer can compete with that. At the end of the day nokia is an old mobile phone manufacturer, that is all.
Why would you be embarrassed? Because it doesn't say Apple? Do you know if it's going to be better or worse than the iPhone?

Wow, Apple is lucky to have you :)

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
Why would you be embarrassed? Because it doesn't say Apple? Do you know if it's going to be better or worse than the iPhone?

Wow, Apple is lucky to have you :)

I'd be embarrassed to hold a replica. When I see women who hold blatantly fake handbags, Im surprised their not embarrassed too.

Even if its better, if its blatantly copying the iPhone look and feel I wouldn't buy it. Theres plenty of chinese ipod copies that look and feel like an ipod, but have more features. I would never carry one around though.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I'd be embarrassed to hold a replica. When I see women who hold blatantly fake handbags, Im surprised their not embarrassed too.

Even if its better, if its blatantly copying the iPhone look and feel I wouldn't buy it. Theres plenty of chinese ipod copies that look and feel like an ipod, but have more features. I would never carry one around though.
By this logic you would have never bought a flip phone other than the first flip phone (Motorola star tac?)... Or a PDA Phone with a keyboard except the Treo or a Blackberry (but you need to settle that argument first), etc etc.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
OOH PLEEEEASE, whats wrong with you people. . . YOu act like all the features of the iPhone were never used before....

Lets get something stright.

1. Cameras on phones were around since 2000 or ealier
2. Music Players on phones have been around since 2000s
3. web surfing has been around on phones since the 2000s
4. Email has been around on phones since the 2000s
5. Touch-screen phones have been around since 2000s

Apple's launch of this this product is not by any means a new invention. All these options have always been around. Think back of that Palm pilot that used to be a phone and you could write on it, and that other company, "Spring" or something like that.

Trust me, Apple just made it all look eyecandy and they jazzed it up a little, but the underlying technology has been around for years, its just a matter of time before EVERY phone manufacture comes out with a phone that will either match or surpass Apple's phone. So strap on to your seats.

I wish Apple all good, I think their product really is trendy. On the other hand, I hate when other people go around calling other companies copycats because something looks similar to the iPhone. As consumer demand rises companies need to adapt. Be happy about this, this way several companies keep coming up with inovated products to win us over. Trust me, Nokia, Motorolla, Samsung, LG etc... right now are all putting toghether their next big thing.