Nokia to sell handset business to Microsoft for $7.2 Billion

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Apparently Nokia are selling their handset businesss to Microsoft for $7.2 Billion as they are struggling to keep up with Apple and Samsung.

Quick snippet from the article:

In 2011, after writing a memo that said Nokia was falling behind and lacked the in-house technology to catch up, Elop made the controversial decision to use his former firm Microsoft’s Windows Phone for smartphones, rather than Nokia’s own software or Google’s ubiquitous Android operating system.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/599123/nokia-to-sell-handset-businesss-to-microsoft-for-7-2-billion/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Makes me wonder who's gonna end up buying blackberry... sooner or later there will only be a few big players.

I also wonder if this will convince google to get off their ass and do something interesting with motorola.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Makes me wonder who's gonna end up buying blackberry... sooner or later there will only be a few big players.

I also wonder if this will convince google to get off their ass and do something interesting with motorola.
I'd buy RIM for $100 but I'd need change :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
RIM already sold BlackBerry Messenger to Google and Apple. Sure, there might be different reasons why people actually use BlackBerry devices, including their superb email client, however sooner or later they will hit a wall and will have to either file for bankruptcy or sell their company to someone. Their operating system (even the latest one) is quite awful, application development is little and their consumer base is decreasing by the minute, especially with BBM going to Android and iOS.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
HTC and Samsung have had lackluster releases for Windows Phone. Guessing this is the final nail in the coffin for Windows Phone devices made by anyone but Nokia. Nokia has long had an advantage due to their tight relationship with Microsoft. Not sure how this changes things, other than the effect on the other manufacturers.

jalalawi

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
I would expect that MS Nokia phones are coming to compete strongly in the smart phones market.

Sent using iCafe app

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I would expect that MS Nokia phones are coming to compete strongly in the smart phones market.

Sent using iCafe app
There is no evidence that Microsoft will have anything but minimal success. I don't see how Microsoft buying Nokia changes anything. Android and Apple will continue to dominate. A cheap iPhone 5C is a further blow to Windows Phone and cheap Android devices.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Don't they already make the Droid line? I thought that was doing okay.

jalalawi

Bronze
Apr 23, 2011
But what we heard is that the deal is around 4 plus billion dollars!

Sent using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Don't they already make the Droid line? I thought that was doing okay.
Yeah, but that's just businesss as usual for motorola. I'd like to see google make their own, completely internally developed, flagship Android phone(s). Something beyond the Nexus line, that is.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yeah, but that's just businesss as usual for motorola. I'd like to see google make their own, completely internally developed, flagship Android phone(s). Something beyond the Nexus line, that is.
That's the Moto X and it is impressive. Not the best phone by any means, but they got plenty right with it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
That's what I mean. Google/Moto's phone should be without a doubt the best Android experience available.