Non-Apple Products with iPhone 3G

My wife purchased an iPod clock/docking station (Memorex brand) thinking that it was made also for the 3G. When I put my iPhone on the docking station, a message appeared on the phone that said something to the effect of "This device was not made for the iPhone; turn the phone to Airplane mode to minimize audio interference."

My questions are: Could the use of a device such as this damage my iPhone? Would the use of such a device affect my warranty?

Thanks in advance!

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
shouldn't affect your phone or warranty. That message just indicates that there isn't sufficient electrical shielding in the device to keep the cellphone waves from interfering with the audio.

or something like that.

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
shouldn't affect your phone or warranty. That message just indicates that there isn't sufficient electrical shielding in the device to keep the cellphone waves from interfering with the audio.

or something like that.
I agree with acosmichippo. Most of the docks designed for use with the iPods just don't have the shielding to deal with the phone portion of the iPhone and can cause interference and feedback when used. I have a sound dock that I use with my iPhone daily (without problems) and get the same message.