Non-definative but SIMple speakerphone volume solution

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I have found that when using speakerphone in a less-than-quiet area the volume of the speaker seems to increase if you hold the phone in the following manner:

Hold the phone upside down with the screen facing towards you.
Use your pinky and ring finger and the pad of your palm to hold the bottom of the phone and use the rest of your hand (which should be hanging off of the end of the phone) to create a cup that cups the speaker and reflects the soundwave towards you.

Obviously the actual amplitude of the sound generated by the speaker is not changed but the volume seems to be louder due to the echo created by redirecting the sound waves.

Also note that the sound will be a bit
more distorted than the standard volume. But a little distortion may be better than the alternative.

Please let me know if this helps anyone i know i have found it handy.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Thanks for the tip. The speaker is certainly not the loudest I've ever heard.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
I have found that when using speakerphone in a less-than-quiet area the volume of the speaker seems to increase if you hold the phone in the following manner:

Hold the phone upside down with the screen facing towards you.
Use your pinky and ring finger and the pad of your palm to hold the bottom of the phone and use the rest of your hand (which should be hanging off of the end of the phone) to create a cup that cups the speaker and reflects the soundwave towards you.

Obviously the actual amplitude of the sound generated by the speaker is not changed but the volume seems to be louder due to the echo created by redirecting the sound waves.

Also note that the sound will be a bit
more distorted than the standard volume. But a little distortion may be better than the alternative.

Please let me know if this helps anyone i know i have found it handy.

I tried it and you know what?....I realized that it was A LOT easier just taking it off speaker and holding it to my ear! Jesus can we get a FW update already?!?!?

tadrewcook

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I noticed this too...

The speaker is really "multi-directional" (?). I don't know much about cell phone speakers, but it seems to spill the sound pretty much everywhere. I do the whole cupping thing when I'm listening to the ipod w/o headphones.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I say just use the headphones if you are looking for a hands-free solution as an alternative to the speaker phone while we wait for an update. The headphones work great.