Non-OEM iPhone 5 Lightning Cables

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Thankfully I was able to buy 5 of the chargers on eBay for only $6.50. This just recently happened today to one of the new chargers I got. It was working fine until just 15 minutes ago. Tell me if this has happened to you.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1378235741.747908.jpg

As you can tell, the charge part is now out. When I put it back in, it doesn't stay in, thereforee it won't go on charge and when I take the charger off the iPhone, disconnect it in better terms, the piece that you see in the picture stays in the iPhone.

If this happens in a few weeks to the charger I am using now, I may question the seller.

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
That's the risk/reward of opting for the cheaper cables. I've bought a few myself off Amazon. If I recall, I'm 2 for 3 right now, which is pretty good considering the cost/savings over the $20 cables that Apple sells. I could use a few more as my wife and I always misplace them.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
That's the risk/reward of opting for the cheaper cables. I've bought a few myself off Amazon. If I recall, I'm 2 for 3 right now, which is pretty good considering the cost/savings over the $20 cables that Apple sells. I could use a few more as my wife and I always misplace them.
Honestly I was not aware that these were not OEM.

The listing said "Brand: Unbranded/Generic
Compatible Brand: For Apple
Country of Manufacture:China

Is the part that says unbranded/generic what I need to make sure I don't see next time I get chargers?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Honestly I was not aware that these were not OEM.

The listing said "Brand: Unbranded/Generic
Compatible Brand: For Apple
Country of Manufacture:China

Is the part that says unbranded/generic what I need to make sure I don't see next time I get chargers?
If it doesn't have the 'Made for iPhone' sticker, I wouldn't trust it. Even those can be fake. There are only a few companies authorized to create cables for Apple. Griffin, Incipio and Amazon are just a few.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If it doesn't have the 'Made for iPhone' sticker, I wouldn't trust it. Even those can be fake. There are only a few companies authorized to create cables for Apple. Griffin, Incipio and Amazon are just a few.
I do not recall any of my chargers, even the one that came with the iPhones, having a made for iPhone sticker. But, I do have a bad memory anyways. :)

I guess the saying "live and learn" sticks in this situation. The good thing is I did not pay a lot; the bad thing is each one may not last. However, an iPhone 5 OEM charger I had at home did not last either. It stopped charging and would only stay on charge in certain positions.

Anywho, now I am sad and feel dumb to make a mistake like this. :cry:

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've never bought a non-OEM Lightning cable for this very reason. The cheap ones are a waste of money in the long run. They also don't typically pass audio. I do, however, have an Apple Lightning to micro USB adapter. I got it so I could get a good-quality, short, black micro USB cable from monoprice and use it in my car along with the Lightning adapter. It passes audio since it's made by Apple. I'm good with the long, white Apple cables for everything else. I just wanted a short black cable for the car because I think it looks nicer there.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I got a lightning cable from monoprice a couple months ago that has been great. Works just like an Apple cable, and has held up fine; the only downside is the lightning connector is slightly thicker than an Apple cable, so it doesn't fit in as many cases.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I got a lightning cable from monoprice a couple months ago that has been great. Works just like an Apple cable, and has held up fine; the only downside is the lightning connector is slightly thicker than an Apple cable, so it doesn't fit in as many cases.
Honestly, I may stick with the cheaper lightning cables, unless they don't last. The first one that I tossed today worked for 3 weeks. That's good for me. I only paid a total of $6.50 for all 5 on eBay. I have three more of those in my backpack, and a working Apple made cable in my car that I rarely use as I don't drive on long trips right now.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Honestly, I may stick with the cheaper lightning cables, unless they don't last. The first one that I tossed today worked for 3 weeks. That's good for me. I only paid a total of $6.50 for all 5 on eBay. I have three more of those in my backpack, and a working Apple made cable in my car that I rarely use as I don't drive on long trips right now.
Well, I think we can rule out that the really cheap ones will last. It's all in the mindset, though. You have to just think of them as disposable cables.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Well, I think we can rule out that the really cheap ones will last. It's all in the mindset, though. You have to just think of them as disposable cables.
Most definitely. Hopefully this one will last longer. I made a mistake on eBay, but it may not have hurt me that much, especially as I did not pay much and they last for a month or so. :p

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Most definitely. Hopefully this one will last longer. I made a mistake on eBay, but it may not have hurt me that much, especially as I did not pay much and they last for a month or so. :p
If it doesn't last at least 15 weeks, it's not worth it and you pay more in the log run. An Apple cable will last you more than a year and it has a warranty on the off chance that it doesn't. Plus the Apple cables pass audio.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
If it doesn't last at least 15 weeks, it's not worth it and you pay more in the log run. An Apple cable will last you more than a year and it has a warranty on the off chance that it doesn't.
I see. Well thank you for the information. :) Maybe this charger I am using now will last longer. I'll let y'all know. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I see. Well thank you for the information. :) Maybe this charger I am using now will last longer. I'll let y'all know. :)
But even if you could get them to average at least 16+ months, they still don't pass audio and they have a higher incidence of causing restore errors.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Don't step out of any bathtubs to unplug it or anything. :p
UHHHHH nah man, when I am in the tub or shower, the phone is the last thing I am thinking of. However, I have gotten out of the shower sometimes when I heard my phone constantly vibrating. LOL!

But even if you could get them to averaging at least 16+ months, they still don't pass audio and they have a higher incidence of causing restore errors.
Uh oh. Well that's good to know if I do still have one when iOS 7 comes out with a working jailbreak. What do you mean that they don't pass audio?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Uh oh. Well that's good to know if I do still have one when iOS 7 comes out with a working jailbreak. What do you mean that they don't pass audio?
That means you can't play music through the cable such as when you connect it to a car stereo or portable speakers via USB. Apparently, a few of the more expensive monoprice Lightning cables do pass audio, but there's no chance a cheaply-made $1.30 cable would. If you want to be certain it does, go with Apple as most knockoffs can't do this. Some of the nicer ones that don't even say "charge and sync only" on the packaging.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
That means you can't play music through the cable. For example, when connecting it to a car stereo via USB. A few of the more expensive monoprice Lightning cables do pass audio, but there's no chance a cheaply made $1.30 cable would. If you want to be certain it does, go with Apple as most knockoffs can't do this. They even say charge and sync on the packaging.
I see. Well the good thing is I have an Apple made iPhone charger in my car, but actually I don't plug it into the car to play music as much as I thought I would have. O_o

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I see. Well the good thing is I have an Apple made iPhone charger in my car, but actually I don't plug it into the car to play music as much as I thought I would have. O_o
Yeah, a lot of people just want to use them to charge, and they work fine for that...until they break. :p