Non-OEM iPhone 5 Lightning Cables

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by MoneyMaker79, Sep 3, 2013.

1. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Thankfully I was able to buy 5 of the chargers on eBay for only $6.50. This just recently happened today to one of the new chargers I got. It was working fine until just 15 minutes ago. Tell me if this has happened to you.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1378235741.747908.jpg

As you can tell, the charge part is now out. When I put it back in, it doesn't stay in, thereforee it won't go on charge and when I take the charger off the iPhone, disconnect it in better terms, the piece that you see in the picture stays in the iPhone.

If this happens in a few weeks to the charger I am using now, I may question the seller.

Sent using iCafe app

#1 MoneyMaker79, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

That's the risk/reward of opting for the cheaper cables. I've bought a few myself off Amazon. If I recall, I'm 2 for 3 right now, which is pretty good considering the cost/savings over the $20 cables that Apple sells. I could use a few more as my wife and I always misplace them.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Honestly I was not aware that these were not OEM.

The listing said "Brand: Unbranded/Generic
    Compatible Brand: For Apple
    Country of Manufacture:China

Is the part that says unbranded/generic what I need to make sure I don't see next time I get chargers?

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If it doesn't have the 'Made for iPhone' sticker, I wouldn't trust it. Even those can be fake. There are only a few companies authorized to create cables for Apple. Griffin, Incipio and Amazon are just a few.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I do not recall any of my chargers, even the one that came with the iPhones, having a made for iPhone sticker. But, I do have a bad memory anyways. :)

I guess the saying "live and learn" sticks in this situation. The good thing is I did not pay a lot; the bad thing is each one may not last. However, an iPhone 5 OEM charger I had at home did not last either. It stopped charging and would only stay on charge in certain positions.

Anywho, now I am sad and feel dumb to make a mistake like this. :cry:

#5 MoneyMaker79, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've never bought a non-OEM Lightning cable for this very reason. The cheap ones are a waste of money in the long run. They also don't typically pass audio. I do, however, have an Apple Lightning to micro USB adapter. I got it so I could get a good-quality, short, black micro USB cable from monoprice and use it in my car along with the Lightning adapter. It passes audio since it's made by Apple. I'm good with the long, white Apple cables for everything else. I just wanted a short black cable for the car because I think it looks nicer there.

7. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

No reason to feel dumb, but the price of $1.30 each might have been a clue that they were pretty cheaply made. :rolleyes:

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

But hey, they work for a few weeks. At least this one did.

Sent using iCafe app

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I got a lightning cable from monoprice a couple months ago that has been great. Works just like an Apple cable, and has held up fine; the only downside is the lightning connector is slightly thicker than an Apple cable, so it doesn't fit in as many cases.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Honestly, I may stick with the cheaper lightning cables, unless they don't last. The first one that I tossed today worked for 3 weeks. That's good for me. I only paid a total of $6.50 for all 5 on eBay. I have three more of those in my backpack, and a working Apple made cable in my car that I rarely use as I don't drive on long trips right now.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Well, I think we can rule out that the really cheap ones will last. It's all in the mindset, though. You have to just think of them as disposable cables.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most definitely. Hopefully this one will last longer. I made a mistake on eBay, but it may not have hurt me that much, especially as I did not pay much and they last for a month or so. :p

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If it doesn't last at least 15 weeks, it's not worth it and you pay more in the log run. An Apple cable will last you more than a year and it has a warranty on the off chance that it doesn't. Plus the Apple cables pass audio.

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. Well thank you for the information. :) Maybe this charger I am using now will last longer. I'll let y'all know. :)

15. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Don't step out of any bathtubs to unplug it or anything. :p

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

But even if you could get them to average at least 16+ months, they still don't pass audio and they have a higher incidence of causing restore errors.

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

UHHHHH nah man, when I am in the tub or shower, the phone is the last thing I am thinking of. However, I have gotten out of the shower sometimes when I heard my phone constantly vibrating. LOL!

Uh oh. Well that's good to know if I do still have one when iOS 7 comes out with a working jailbreak. What do you mean that they don't pass audio?

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That means you can't play music through the cable such as when you connect it to a car stereo or portable speakers via USB. Apparently, a few of the more expensive monoprice Lightning cables do pass audio, but there's no chance a cheaply-made $1.30 cable would. If you want to be certain it does, go with Apple as most knockoffs can't do this. Some of the nicer ones that don't even say "charge and sync only" on the packaging.

19. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I see. Well the good thing is I have an Apple made iPhone charger in my car, but actually I don't plug it into the car to play music as much as I thought I would have. O_o

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yeah, a lot of people just want to use them to charge, and they work fine for that...until they break. :p