Non-replaceable battery?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tony3d

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
What are your thoughts on Apple's choice of putting a non-replaceable battery into their phone? I think it sucks! I can understand a non replaceable battery for the iPod. In fact so far I have bought 6. I don't think this is an acceptable solution for a cell phone. An iPod may not be used everyday. Your much more likely to have to recharge your phone much more often than your iPod. The inconvenience of having to pack it up, drive it to UPS, and wait in line for god knows how long, then wait for days to get it back is simple ridiculous. I would much rather be able to pick up a battery at the Apple store an put it in myself. Not to mention there is no way you would have to pay $85.00 if this was the scenario. I love the phone, but I really believe the GREED factor played a very high roll here. I would even rather bring the iPhone to an Apple store, drop it off for an hour or so, and pick it up again later. At least I wouldn't have to be inconvenienced for days. Sorry no matter what people say this aspect of owning the phone flat out sticks!

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
What are your thoughts on Apple's choice of putting a non-replaceable battery into their phone? I think it sucks! I can understand a non replaceable battery for the iPod. In fact so far I have bought 6. I don't think this is an acceptable solution for a cell phone. An iPod may not be used everyday. Your much more likely to have to recharge your phone much more often than your iPod. The inconvenience of having to pack it up, drive it to UPS, and wait in line for god knows how long, then wait for days to get it back is simple ridiculous. I would much rather be able to pick up a battery at the Apple store an put it in myself. Not to mention there is no way you would have to pay $85.00 if this was the scenario. I love the phone, but I really believe the GREED factor played a very high roll here. I would even rather bring the iPhone to an Apple store, drop it off for an hour or so, and pick it up again later. At least I wouldn't have to be inconvenienced for days. Sorry no matter what people say this aspect of owning the phone flat out sticks!
It's no big deal. I like the way the phone looks and operates. No one can really give any complaints on the battery, until we actually have a problem with it, then I'll form an opinion on it.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
I think it sucks. The fact that your battery life will slowly decrease over time and just and worse and worse until it's so bad you have to send it to Apple, really sucks.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
I think it sucks. The fact that your battery life will slowly decrease over time and just and worse and worse until it's so bad you have to send it to Apple, really sucks.
Surprise! Every rechargeable battery is like this. You probably just don't keep the phone long enough to even see it. Just like this one.

fletch33

Jun 30, 2007
Under A Rug
to me the main problem of not being able to easily change the battery is not being able to have 2 or 3 already charged so when your out running around you can just throw a fresh battery in and not have to worry about finding an outlet.

also i am on my second iPhone because the first one had a faulty battery and to be honest i am still not impressed. my motorola Q last longer on a charge and does A LOT more stuff than my iPhone.

tony3d

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
It's no big deal. I like the way the phone looks and operates. No one can really give any complaints on the battery, until we actually have a problem with it, then I'll form an opinion on it.
But it is obvious from the amount of recharge cycles Apple claims the phone to have you could be doing this as early as one year from the day you bought it. Makes no sense to me, other than putting more money in Apples pockets! Think of the money they save by doing this. When will people stop considering these types of corporate schemes as watching out for your best interests be it design aesthetics or what have you, and expose them for what they really are. Greed. How can we make more money on this thing. Like $600.00 wasn't enough. Companies have already thrown service out the window. I'm 54 years old and I'll tell you I miss service. People have forgotten what service was, and the companies love it that way because they save a bundle. When I told my kid there was a day you could drive up to a gas station, and the guy would fill your tank, wash your windows, fill your tires with air, check your oil, and then bring you the credit card machine, he thought I was nuts. To him he just thinks that this is the way things should be. Look I don't mind the price of the phone, I really don't even mind having to pay $85.00 for the battery, even though that is terribly expensive. I guess what I really am disappointed in is that Apple chooses to inconvenience their customer in order to show a higher profit margin rather than giving their customer the simple option of just replacing the battery themselves. Come on folks this is a phone. I know of no other phone on this planet, that does not have a user replaceable battery. I may be getting too old and tired, or just old fashioned, but popping off a cover seems much more desirable to me. Just my 2 cents. I love the phone, I hate the politics of owning it.

Lheaxhuns

Jun 27, 2007
When will people stop considering these types of corporate schemes as watching out for your best interests be it design aesthetics or what have you, and expose them for what they really are. Greed.
People don't realize it because...

1)Most people live in a fairy tale world where big corporations have only one goal-to help the consumer, not make money.
2)Most people are retarded.

tony3d

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
People don't realize it because...

1)Most people live in a fairy tale world where big corporations have only one goal-to help the consumer, not make money.
2)Most people are retarded.
I'm not sure why, but people have to stand up and just say enough is enough, I don't care how wonderful a product is. People have an extreme amount of power as a consumer were just afraid to use it. Companies, and the government love it when where afraid! I guess I'm just over it. Sorry to burst your bubble. Aside from this the phone is a solid, and beautifully executed product. It really is.

kidapollo

Jul 1, 2007
Doesn't Apple claim that we should get 1,000 charges before seeing any performance decline? That's well over two years of charging every day. In two years folks still using the original iPhone are going to look like Zach from Saved by the Bell with his giant white and grey Motorola brick. Seriously, I don't see a major problem ... that is, if you have an iPhone that doesn't have a faulty battery.

Although, I think the point that was made about not being able to buy extra batteries to swap in and out as needed is a valid one. That would be nice.

There will be battery accessories, however. Someone is going to market an (ugly, clunky) add-on that will charge your iPhone off a couple of AAs or give it extra juice when you are running low.

tony3d

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Doesn't Apple claim that we should get 1,000 charges before seeing any performance decline? That's well over two years of charging every day. In two years folks still using the original iPhone are going to look like Zach from Saved by the Bell with his giant white and grey Motorola brick. Seriously, I don't see a major problem ... that is, if you have an iPhone that doesn't have a faulty battery.

Although, I think the point that was made about not being able to buy extra batteries to swap in and out as needed is a valid one. That would be nice.

There will be battery accessories, however. Someone is going to market an (ugly, clunky) add-on that will charge your iPhone off a couple of AAs or give it extra juice when you are running low.
Apple claim is 300 to 400 charge cycles. So far I charge this phone once a day that sounds to me like less than one year to about 18 months tops.

kdarling

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NJ, NC, CO
Agreed. A swappable battery is a must. Apple seems to think of the iPhone as an iPod with a phone stuck on, but that paradigm doesn't hold up in the real world.

If you fly across the ocean watching videos, and your battery is dead on arrival, that's just no good. Okay for an iPod, but not a phone.

For the battery replacement, Apple wants around $80, three days, and oh they'll loan you another phone for $30. You'll have to sync your contacts to it, of course.

Whoever said that kids these days don't know what service should be like, is totally correct. They seem to roll over for anything people say, just to get the latest glitzy gadget, whether it works worth a darn or not. I suppose it comes from not earning each penny to buy something... then you begin to want some service in return.

Btw, we old guys invented half this stuff. Woof :p

tony3d

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Agreed. A swappable battery is a must. Apple seems to think of the iPhone as an iPod with a phone stuck on, but that paradigm doesn't hold up in the real world.

If you fly across the ocean watching videos, and your battery is dead on arrival, that's just no good. Okay for an iPod, but not a phone.

For the battery replacement, Apple wants around $80, three days, and oh they'll loan you another phone for $30. You'll have to sync your contacts to it, of course.

Whoever said that kids these days don't know what service should be like, is totally correct. They seem to roll over for anything people say, just to get the latest glitzy gadget, whether it works worth a darn or not. I suppose it comes from not earning each penny to buy something... then you begin to want some service in return.

Btw, we old guys invented half this stuff. Woof :p
I said it. I just really am getting tired of these compaines pulling this sort of thing, and then somehow making it look like it's for our own good. People just keep eating it up. Go Figure!

FLST2000US

Jul 4, 2007
Well after seeing the torn apart iPhone on the web and watching aYoutube video on taking apart a iPhone it really does not look that hard.. Once apart cut the wires on the battery and then connect the new battery.. Wrap with a small piece of electrical tape and put back together.. No shipping to Apple and no waiting.. Just an idea.

applefreak

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
Winter Park FL
Even the most rabid fanboy can admit it is an inconvenience. However, the cost is reasonable for this luxury device. Figure a replacement battery for $60 and a $25 service charge to R&R it.

Now, consider that if you had a removeable cover on the back of the phone to access the battery. To me, that would just mar the beautiful aesthetics of the iPhone's minimalist design. Unacceptable.

The iPhone is a luxury. Like a ferrari you don't complain about the gas mileage. If $85 every 18 months is too much for you, maybe it's the wrong phone for your budget.

FLST2000US

Jul 4, 2007
The iPhone is a luxury. Like a ferrari you don't complain about the gas mileage. If $85 every 18 months is too much for you, maybe it's the wrong phone for your budget.
Oh agreed on the replacement it just seems that replacing the battery is a sticking point for most people. But after owning several Windows Mobil devices and having to hack the living day lights out them to perform correctly a battery is the least of my worries.. Plus I have never owned a cell long enough to have to replace the battery.. The latest is the greatest.. :laugh2: