Noob iPhone Question...

Mar 8, 2008
So I'm looking to buy an iPhone...I'm currently a senior in high school, with college right around the corner. After already convincing my dad to let me get a MacBook Pro, I decided to try and stretch it a bit and go for the iPhone as well.

I asked him today and he was all for it, he thought I would have a lot of fun with it and it would be a handy thing for organization purposes and what not. The only thing he said was that he was afraid by the time I get into college, there will be a newer iPhone available.

Is there any news of this...I have heard nothing. And isn't it not really the hardware that is going to be updated...it's going to be the software? - and that has already been done.

Any help would be nice, be it, how I can convince him further, or any information as to why I should wait or shouldn't need to wait. Thanks!

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
So I'm looking to buy an iPhone...I'm currently a senior in high school, with college right around the corner. After already convincing my dad to let me get a MacBook Pro, I decided to try and stretch it a bit and go for the iPhone as well.

I asked him today and he was all for it, he thought I would have a lot of fun with it and it would be a handy thing for organization purposes and what not. The only thing he said was that he was afraid by the time I get into college, there will be a newer iPhone available.

Is there any news of this...I have heard nothing. And isn't it not really the hardware that is going to be updated...it's going to be the software? - and that has already been done.

Any help would be nice, be it, how I can convince him further, or any information as to why I should wait or shouldn't need to wait. Thanks!
There are rumors that one will be released mid year. Coming from someone who keeps track of Apple news like it's their child, most Apple rumors end up becoming true.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
There are rumors that one will be released mid year. Coming from someone who keeps track of Apple news like it's their child, most Apple rumors end up becoming true.
albeit delayed many times, such as the mac updates. I'm with you though I do have a good feeling about seeing a new iPhone available around WWDC or at least announced then and released for the holiday rush around the 1st of Nov.

Mar 8, 2008
" Despite rumors in late 2007 which suggested a 3G iPhone would be released by March of 2008, following Macworld 2008 conventional wisdom had seemingly shifted to expect release of a 3G iPhone in more towards the end of the year -- perhaps shortly before the Christmas retail season. If Gardner's sources turn out to be correct, many will be surprised at the early release. "

So I guess I should just wait it out, and wait for the bigger and better like my dad proposed >.<

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
" Despite rumors in late 2007 which suggested a 3G iPhone would be released by March of 2008, following Macworld 2008 conventional wisdom had seemingly shifted to expect release of a 3G iPhone in more towards the end of the year -- perhaps shortly before the Christmas retail season. If Gardner's sources turn out to be correct, many will be surprised at the early release. "

So I guess I should just wait it out, and wait for the bigger and better like my dad proposed >.<
or you can grab one now and sell it when the 3g comes out and recover some of the cost. Not everyone is gonna want 3g due to the limited coverage compared to edge. You should still be able to fetch a good amount for it

Mar 8, 2008
or you can grab one now and sell it when the 3g comes out and recover some of the cost. Not everyone is gonna want 3g due to the limited coverage compared to edge. You should still be able to fetch a good amount for it
Very good thinking. I figured if I get one now, I'll be able to mess around with it, get familiar with it and such. All while working...so when the newer one comes out, I'll have the money to get another one.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Very good thinking. I figured if I get one now, I'll be able to mess around with it, get familiar with it and such. All while working...so when the newer one comes out, I'll have the money to get another one.
I have awesome 3g coverage in the Dallas area but if the new iPhone runs the same software and the only added features are 3g and possibly 32gb of flash memory I think I'll just stay with my trusty ole 16gb 1st gen. That said if they beef up the processing power and RAM it might be worth getting as it will be able to handle more intense things than the current one such as (hopefully) Adobe Flash

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Check with one of your friends that has a 3G phones or just call a local AT&T store and see if 3G is available in your area. If it's not, then it could be next year before a 3G phone would do you any good. My daughter has a 3G compatible Samsung SGH - A737, and until it starts receiving 3G here (like it does in Atlanta) I won't be purchasing a 3G iPhone. I just don't see the point if you can't use the technology. That's the very same reasoning I used for postponing a purchase of the PS3 until I finally made the switch to HDTV. What good is the technology if you can't use it?

Mar 8, 2008
Check with one of your friends that has a 3G phones or just call a local AT&T store and see if 3G is available in your area. If it's not, then it could be next year before a 3G phone would do you any good. My daughter has a 3G compatible Samsung SGH - A737, and until it starts receiving 3G here (like it does in Atlanta) I won't be purchasing a 3G iPhone. I just don't see the point if you can't use the technology. That's the very same reasoning I used for postponing a purchase of the PS3 until I finally made the switch to HDTV. What good is the technology if you can't use it?
I do actually have a 3G phone currently, and it is available in my area. Though, I never really use it, because I don't currently have it in my plan. Because at the time I had no real purpose for it due to the fact that my phone isn't really intended to surf the web like an iPhone seems to be.

For what purposes do most people use their iPhone? Or what seems to be the most effective feature on it? I really think that it could help me with organization and staying on schedule with things. And I'm guessing that I can sync it with my Macbook Pro for like calendar stuff, etc?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I use the email feature more than anything else on my iPhone, but I also use the browser all the time. Normally, I use between 25 - 30 MB of data each billing period.

If you've already got 3G available in your area, then you might want to hold off until the new version is released later this year. Once you get an iPhone, your phone habits will change considerably. You'll be using the phone for finding pizza places on the way home or for finding directions to playoff games while you're on the road.

It just depends on how long you're willing to wait.