noob question for potential purchase

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Nov 29, 2007
hey guys, ive searched on the boards for a while now to find a complete answer to my question but haven't found the actual answer im looking for. I'm currently an AT&T subscriber and on the family plan with 3 other lines. I have the Cingular 3125 and pay $20 extra a month for the PDA plan. I'm getting an iPhone for christmas but I'm not up for a contract extension until May. When I get the iPhone is it possible for me to take out the sim card it comes with and put my 3G sim card I currently use into the iPhone and then register it and cancel my pda plan and add the iPhone data plan?

csi24

Nov 22, 2007
You get a whole new contract for 2 year contract and the cheapest plan is $20 a month for unlimited data and 200 text messages

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
You won't be able to just insert your current sim card in the iPhone. You'll have to convert your plan to an iPhone plan. They'll drop your current data plan and replace it with the iPhone data plan. For the new iPhone to work, you'll need a new sim card. Without that, Apple wouldn't get its monthly portion of your iPhone plan.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
you could jailbreak the phone prior to activation that way you then would be able to just put your existing sim card into it then just add the data plan that you need for it then.

Doby45

Silver
Aug 21, 2007
Powder Springs, GA
you could jailbreak the phone prior to activation that way you then would be able to just put your existing sim card into it then just add the data plan that you need for it then.
Possibly the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

OP, your iPhone will come with a sim card in it. All you need to do is hook your phone up to iTunes and it will activate it and do everything you need to have done to it. I am also on a familytalk plan with 2 other phones and had a prior data plan. Just by hooking the phone up and activating it, it will handle all of that for you.

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No because your not terminating your contract with AT&T, your extending it with the new contract. They just change your plan and your contract end date.
That is exactly how mine went. I, also, have three others on my family plan. Didn't affect them at all. Basically, I started over with a new two year agreement. Everything else remained the same.

Nov 29, 2007
wow what a relief as a college student i don't exactly have $200 lying around to just give AT&T to get out of a contract 6 months early. thanks for all your guys' help, now I really can't wait for christmas morning

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Your iPhone will come with a SIM. You do not need to buy one for it, and any that you do buy will not work. You also need an iPhone data plan.

Jailbreaking cannot make the iPhone work with a different kind of SIM. Unlocking will allow the iPhone to work with another carrier's SIM.

- John