NOob Question

detfan

Bronze
Nov 20, 2007
Can I take my current sim card and use it on a new iPhone? Considering purchasing one, just not sure if I can do this or not. If not, does ATT web site allow me to add a line of service to my account?

electoman

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You will have to use tne new sim that comes pre-loaded with the iPhone. Once activated, you can move that to another phone. However, Apple, AT&T will require a new two year agreement that will replace the existing agreement at the time of activation.

detfan

Bronze
Nov 20, 2007
Thanks.
So can I just go to the store and buy one, bring it home and activate it?

Like just give my current phone to one of my kids, and go buy the iPhone, bring it home and activate it on my current account?

See I have a verizon account im getting ready to switch from(terminate my contract early), so I want to port my number over.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
When you activate the iPhone (at least it does here in the uk), the activation process asks if you're switching from another carrier. You can enter your PAC code at that point and the whole thing happens automagically (probably like a week later!)

Just buy the iPhone - you know you want to! and worry about the niceties of numbers and accounts and money another day. lol

detfan

Bronze
Nov 20, 2007
When you activate the iPhone (at least it does here in the uk), the activation process asks if you're switching from another carrier. You can enter your PAC code at that point and the whole thing happens automagically (probably like a week later!)

Just buy the iPhone - you know you want to! and worry about the niceties of numbers and accounts and money another day. lol

Yes I have been wanting to. I hope I do not regret this..LOL.

Anyway I bought it, gotta wait for it to get here now. Did you say a week later..So does the number that activates to the phone just change a week later? Its not automatic and instant?

Also, will I be able add this phone to my current account, and port my number at the same time through iTunes?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
Not sure how it all goes in the US - it takes a week to port numbers over here.

You will get an AT&T sim in the phone. Make sure you have the latest iTunes and Plug the phone into your pc. The dialogue will ask for your inside leg mesurement and activate your phone and SIM instantly. The screen will give you a new mobile number. - Take phone out and pose.

Either before or after this - contact your existing provider and tell them they're Looooooosers because they can't supply you an iPhone - and you want a PAC number to transfer your number to AT&T.

When you get it - Call AT&T and tell them you have a PAC code and want to port your existing number over to AT&T for use with the iPhone. They'll be very happy to do that.

Your old phone will keep working and your iPhone will keep working until the switchover day - your old phone goes dead and a few minutes later your iPhone goes dead - then the iPhone will get a text message from AT&T saying it's live with the new (your old) number.

Your old phone can then be unlocked if necessary and used somewhere else or supplied with a new sim from the provider it's locked with.

(someone please correct me if the protocol is different over the pond - but I bet you copied it all from us in the first place - that's how it usually works :-P
just kidding lol!)