not a newbie a wannabe

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Hi Guys,

In my quest to get an iPhone I am prepared to do almost anything, however living in Ireland doesn't do you any favours in this technical age. So I have a few questions.

I am going to the UK soon and want to know the following.

a) can I buy the iPhone straight from the store with no contract stuff (i think this is a yes from what I have read on the forum)
b) how then can i get the beauty to work in Ireland

I have heard the term unlocking .... jailbreaking is new to me (sounds good though). I know Apple are trying to make things as difficult as possible but If I bought the iPhone and bring it back to the emerald isle am I going to dealing with a glorified iPod touch. Can I get the phone and data to working Ireland with and irish sim card? Can I even get music on it?

Oh yeah, if the iPhone does finally arrive in Ireland will I be able to activate it normally and become one of the crowd.

Finally, why oh why cant they just release the damn thing everywhere?:oops:

Thanks in advance

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
1) yes, you can buy the iPhone w/o a contract
2) in order to get the phone to work in ireland, you need to unlock it with anysim, thus allowing you to use one of the carriers in ireland... when you buy the iPhone try to find one with week 45 or less, you can do this by looking at the imei number, and the last 2 digits will show you what week it is.

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Is there a way of identifying the IMEI number before leaving the shop. Why is this important? excuse the dumb questions

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
Is there a way of identifying the IMEI number before leaving the shop. Why is this important? excuse the dumb questions[/quotyes you can check the imei bfore you leave ( It's on the outside of the box ). This also ensures an easy jailbreak. (not a dumb question)

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks guys but there are still a few questions in my original post that I would love some help with like whats jailbreaking

Also do you just ask for an IMEI less than 45, its just that in most shops here they don't display the boxes they just give you one from behind the counter. Are there many of these models left?

Has anyone tried this in UK-Ireland scenario?

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
sorry I don't have any answers for you but I was wandering how the data and Internet work and what rates you have to pay if you don't have AT&T and edge. Just curious

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
okk, the imei part, i wouldn't ask them, but this is what i did, if i saw a box that was bad i just said that the box was bad luck or something... honestly i think the people at the shop don't care

mj2320

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
what phone carriers do you have in Ireland

i robot

Silver
Jan 29, 2008
the carriers are O2, Vodafone, 3, Meteor