Not buying the iPhone 3G on day 1?

quib

Jun 30, 2008
I may have to wait maybe a couple of days to get mine.
I have my reasons of course:

1. My bro has the V1 and I can test the new firmware from his phone
2. Would like to know your (whoever's buying at day1) reactions/reviews first.
3. Launch day is most likely going to be a full day of iPhone news and firmware info, and I'd rather spend that day digesting all the info I can get to even help me prepare when I get my iPhone. This way by the time I get my iPhone, I already have my research done on available apps, the appstore, and other necessities.
4. Don't have to worry about chaos instore on launch date, plus I doubt they'll sell out in a couple of days (here's hoping of course).

You guys with me? :cool:

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
no def not, im goin day one, not at 8 in the morning more like around noon or one ish. i couldn't stand to just read and watch videos about people with there new iPhones

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.

3. Launch day is most likely going to be a full day of iPhone news and firmware info, and I'd rather spend that day digesting all the info I can get to even help me prepare when I get my iPhone. This way by the time I get my iPhone, I already have my research done on available apps, the appstore, and other necessities.
4. Don't have to worry about chaos instore on launch date, plus I doubt they'll sell out in a couple of days (here's hoping of course).

Sounds like a well thought out plan to me. The third idea is a sensible one. When you do get the phone, you will be ahead of the curve and know exactly what you need to do and what you want.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA

Very reasonable plan. You probably don't make many rash decisions either.;)

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I am staying put with my v1 until atleast a week after. Despite my tech fetish I am not easily parted with my hard earned $299 plus tax. lol. And I don't have a garauntee sale of my v1 phone either to recoup my money.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I am staying put with my v1 until atleast a week after. Despite my tech fetish I am not easily parted with my hard earned $299 plus tax. lol. And I don't have a garauntee sale of my v1 phone either to recoup my money.
put it on craigslist and its pretty much guaranteed to sell, mine sold for full price in 6 hours, first call about it came in 20 min

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
put it on craigslist and its pretty much guaranteed to sell, mine sold for full price in 6 hours, first call about it came in 20 min
I just may give that a shot, what condition was your iPhone in that you got full price? Mines was flawless until this week when I discoved a scratch that wen from the mute button onto the aluminum for a chip that is very tiny but there nonetheless.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I just may give that a shot, what condition was your iPhone in that you got full price? Mines was flawless until this week when I discoved a scratch that wen from the mute button onto the aluminum for a chip that is very tiny but there nonetheless.
well thats better condition then mine was in, mine had a big dent right on the volume keys, the buttons still worked but the dent was pretty big and surrounded by smaller dents, i probably got away with that because my phone was unlocked and jailbroken

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It's reasonable - especially the part about digesting all the info. There's going to be a flood of new threads, posts, and members here (plenty of spam to delete as well, I'm sure), and playing with the new iPhone, new firmware, watching things on here is going to be a challenge. However, I didn't get to join in on iDay last year, so I'll be in line at 8:00.

- John

dwp1975

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Rockville, MD
I will sit back and watch the plethora of pics posted of everyone's new device. :)

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I'm almost positive I'm getting one (currently on a BB Curve) and I was also pretty sure I was going to get one on day one but I think my main reason for waiting now is so I can get a feel for the AppStore (one of the biggest reasons I'll be getting one if/when I do) and the pricing and quality of apps that can be expected.

I'm beyond stoked and it's going to be hard driving past the At&t store on Friday morning, at 8AM no less, on my way to work and NOT stop. However, if the reviews are as great as expected and the AppStore lives up to my expectations, I might just walk to the store (it's literally in the next parking lot from where I work) and pick one up then.

Either way, your plan seems extremely logical and I see no reason not to wait it out and make the best decision once all the information you need is available.

quib

Jun 30, 2008
Very reasonable plan. You probably don't make many rash decisions either.;)
heh, well I try. Day 1 is workday for me anyways and it takes me an hour each way to drive to & from work. So even if I wanted to, I won't have that much time to buy an iPhone that day. I'd rather drive home from work (tired), relax, go online, and read how the launch went, the pros and cons, what apps and accessories are announced, etc. That should be good enough for me. Then probably buy the phone over the weekend, hoping they don't sell out :laugh2:

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
heh, well I try. Day 1 is workday for me anyways and it takes me an hour each way to drive to & from work. So even if I wanted to, I won't have that much time to buy an iPhone that day. I'd rather drive home from work (tired), relax, go online, and read how the launch went, the pros and cons, what apps and accessories are announced, etc. That should be good enough for me. Then probably buy the phone over the weekend, hoping they don't sell out :laugh2:
dang i couldn't drive an hour everyday to and from work it go nuts with traffic

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.
I'm out of my home country (US) on release day and won't get back until the night of July 16. I'm hoping to pick up the iPhone 3G on the 17th. This is six days after release, so I'm hoping the stores still have some 16GB black ones in stock.

I have a feeling they will be sold out of everything but the white ones. :(

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I'm out of my home country (US) on release day and won't get back until the night of July 16. I'm hoping to pick up the iPhone 3G on the 17th. This is six days after release, so I'm hoping the stores still have some 16GB black ones in stock.

no im sure they'll have them at at least one location by the time you get back

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.

no im sure they'll have them at at least one location by the time you get back
I hope so. I'm from southern California, so there are plenty of AT&T stores, as well as 16 Apple stores (19 if I want to drive 1-1/2 hrs to San Diego). ;)

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I will cruise by the AT&T store in the AM and see if there's a display I can play with. I won't be buying (most likely) until I've had the chance to compare and see the reactions of those who bought immediately.

HOWEVER... If it gets significantly better signal.. I may jump. We have 3G here in Tampa.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007

This why I'm getting there early and securing a front place in line. They're not selling out before I grab one.

- John