Not EVERY company needs an app for that

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by NDragonne, Sep 18, 2014.

1. NDragonne

NDragonne New Member

I never thought I would say this, but not everything I want or need to do online should need a separate app to do it. We recently had a power outage and in order to view whether the outage had been reported, what area it encompassed and how long until the expected repair, the electric company insisted I download their app to view the information. With 23% battery, nearing my capacity (awaiting new IP6+) and nearing my data limit, this infuriated me. The only time I would need this app would be for a very few times a year when we have outages. I am not objecting to the option of an app, but withholding what may be critical information should not depend on whether I download their app to view. Anyone else tired of not being able to just view something online without the nag screen to download their app?

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It seems to me that you should not need to download an app to access this information. I remember when I had a power outage in my area that I did not have to download anything but I was able to view the report and when the power would be turned back on by going to the website. Did they not have a website to view outages? That would be frustrating to be asked to download an app when this kind of information should be readily available through the internet.

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Our power comes from the city. They don't have an app. They do have a website, but it's doubtful they show outages. They have a number to call, but it's tied up most of the time. I griped on Facebook about them not answering one night during a storm. Later I find out a city worker was electrocuted trying to get our power back on during the storm. I don't call anymore.