Not excited about the rounded back

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
There seems to be increasingly more and more rumors pointing to a rounded back design for the new iPhone. True, this will sit more nicely in your hand but what happens when you set it on a table? Is it gonna rock back forth? Also, I constantly am playing with my phone while it is lying on a flat surface. Will it just be rocking as I play now?

Anyway, I'm pretty nervous.

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
If Apple does one thing well (and they do a lot of things well) it would be design and the functionality that goes with it. There's no way in hell you're going to have a rocking phone; unless you install AC/DC :p

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I kind of like the rounded look, it looks a little more stylish IMHO.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
if the rumors are true and the shape of the 3G iPhone is indeed different than the current version, i'm going to be most bummed that my current cases won't work with it. i've built up quite a collection, and a new iPhone shape will force me to start a new one. :p

i am also a bit worried about what it will look like - i do trust Apple's sense of aesthetics (well, since jonny ive has been on board, anyway) and i do hope they do this one justice after the first version...

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
I think the current design of the iPhone is perfect, the weight distribution and bezel and everything makes for a compact, expensive feeling phone. The first time I held an iPhone it felt like a piece of expensive jewelry which I see as a plus, kinda like in 2004-05 when you probably first held the razr :)

The iPhone is built perfectly in my eyes, and the only thing I see changing, or rumored to change is like an extra millimeter or 2 in thickness to accommodate the GPS and 3G

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I actually like the look. I think towards the middle and close to the sides would be flat but the sides are the part that are actually rounded...if that makes sense..

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I think the rounded back + some customized vibration apps could add a whole new realm of pleasure to owning an iPhone. Hey, could you call me around midnight? Just let it ring.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I have a hard time believing that the form will change all that much. However, we can also know that almost everything Apple releases is just freakin' awesome! ;) I don't know that I'll be upgrading apart from major hardware upgrades, it's gonna look cool.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Yeah I trust Apple, they're products are so beautifully designed it sucks when you have to put a case over it!

Btw- what is the best clearcase you have seen or had experience with?

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
There seems to be increasingly more and more rumors pointing to a rounded back design for the new iPhone. True, this will sit more nicely in your hand but what happens when you set it on a table? Is it gonna rock back forth? Also, I constantly am playing with my phone while it is lying on a flat surface. Will it just be rocking as I play now?

Anyway, I'm pretty nervous.
hadn't thought of that, but I agree...that would really change how I use my phone.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
if the rumors are true and the shape of the 3G iPhone is indeed different than the current version, i'm going to be most bummed that my current cases won't work with it. i've built up quite a collection, and a new iPhone shape will force me to start a new one. :p

i am also a bit worried about what it will look like - i do trust Apple's sense of aesthetics (well, since jonny ive has been on board, anyway) and i do hope they do this one justice after the first version...
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but since when has Apple ever released even a new iPod without making enough changes to the item to warrant a whole new line of cases? It's not smart businesss. I'm sure Apple makes a bundle reselling accessories for their own products through their stores. By keeping the same design from one generation of product to the next means they're only limiting their own opportunity to make money. If the 3 cases you bought for the iPhone will work with a 3G iPhone, then you wouldn't need to buy 3 more cases for the new one. Apple is counting on you to buy another 3 cases for the new one.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I think the design of the current iPhone is ok except for the back of it... I think that its already slightly too round for my my taste, which isn't too much of a big deal. but what does bother me is the gray color of the back I just hate it... I'd really hope for the rumors of a black back to be true. that might just be enough to convince me to buy a new one

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Rounded or not, I just hope it won't be as "slippy" in your hand as it is now.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Yes, but I like Macgirl, have also collected quite a collection of cases that will not fit the new iPhone is this case. I would have to start over too and hopefully I can sell the others in a bundle on Ebay but I really like some of my cases and they were expensive.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but since when has Apple ever released even a new iPod without making enough changes to the item to warrant a whole new line of cases? It's not smart businesss. I'm sure Apple makes a bundle reselling accessories for their own products through their stores. By keeping the same design from one generation of product to the next means they're only limiting their own opportunity to make money. If the 3 cases you bought for the iPhone will work with a 3G iPhone, then you wouldn't need to buy 3 more cases for the new one. Apple is counting on you to buy another 3 cases for the new one.
you're right, but a girl can dream, can't she? :p

i have had to get new cases for every ipod i've owned (3rd gen, 5th gen with video, mini, 1st gen nano, 1st gen shuffle). i think the only thing Apple could really mess up with ipods/iPhones is changing the 30-pin dock connector - i think that would be the worst thing for them to change (though they did it between the first and second generation ipods, iirc, but that was before everyone and their monther had an ipod or two). when they do that, it's going to be a while before i give up my various charging accessories and the ipod system in my car...