Not flawless...looks-wise

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by trnsilver, Sep 21, 2012.

1. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

I'm used to the iPhones I get being pretty flawless as far as how they're manufactured. This one I just got has a very slight discoloration in two small parts of the top corners of the phone and at one of the breaks near the bottom.

It's certainly not something I'm going to fuss over but I just wanted to see if anyone noticed anything similar or if I just got a bad Apple (no pun intended though I do like it).

2. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Please try and post photos of the flaws. I've looked mine over and it seems very well constructed.

3. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

No problems here.. I think that the iPhone 5 is the most flawless iPhone to date.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

This is the best I could do. It's like that on both tops but not the bottom corners. What do I do? Roll with it, wait a week and exchange it when the stores calm down...? photo1_zps2e19522d.jpg

5. Prozium12

Prozium12 Contributor
    Bronze

Replace it I've got the black and slate and its clean no defects

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

6. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

7. SAC11

SAC11 New Member

I had an area on the edge near the sim card slot that was somewhat scratched as well, right out of the box. It looks shiny compared to the slate color. The light reflects on it so I saw it right away. I'm afraid this aluminum is really gonna show scratches easily(on the black model). The phone is amazing though. Love how thin and light it is. I'll just have to use a low profile case on it.

8. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

I'd be wanting a new one. I have a need to put my own dirt, dents and scratches in my stuff.

9. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

Thanks for the advice guys (and/or gals). I'll bring it in early next week and just enjoy it for the weekend.

10. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I gave mine a serious inspection (I even used a magnifying glass) and it's flaw free!

Min is the black as well..

11. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

my wife's white is fine but the angled edge scratches so easy. We have done nothing except take to get a Zagg screen protector.

12. Napoleon Lopez

Bronze

This is just an observation in general. I am not picking on the OP or anyone else. But you can find defects in almost any product. Mine came fine through the mail. But if i stare at it long enough i could find something to be picky about. Sometimes you just have to be happy with what you have. It is not something i seen so much on this site. But on other sites i have seen ppl be so nit picky about every little thing. And most of the time i don't even see what they are talking about in the pics they post. Sorry for the rant. If mine does get scuffed i think i would just live with it. No biggie for me.

13. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

I hear what you're saying NL. It's one thing if I drop the phone and scuff it and another though if it comes out of the box dinged up. For an expensive piece of technology it really is unacceptable.

14. aknightstale41

Gold

Hows the weight feel, ive read articles where peeps say it feels like a feather, or waif like, not like the solid feel of the 4s...Thoughts? I didn't get the 5 i thought id wait for the 6, which hopefully should be wider to go along with its increased length :)

15. iPhoneFan10

iPhoneFan10 Member
    Bronze

Stick it in a case right out of the box and you won't have to worry about seeing factory scratches.. That, and a case should protect the phone against new scratches..

16. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

Compared to the 4S? Yes it feels like a feather! Also, don't get your hopes on wider... The way Phil was talking at the keynote I don't think that is going to happen.

17. Redhotchili

Redhotchili Member
    Bronze

There's an article on CNET: iPhone 5: Say Hello To Scuffgate whereby a lot of iPhone 5 purchasers are complaining of nicks and scratches on their phones.

18. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Mine appears flawless, but it scares me to see these kinds of posts as I do not have a case yet. Here's hoping the AT&T store has some decent ones, because I just received a $25 promotion card from them for filling out a survey a few weeks ago.

19. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I ordered a bumper case off Amazon. The easy scratching in the sides is disappointing. My wife could care less. I also got a Zagg Max protection for her(all they had was front cover, the rest has been ordered for install later this week.)

The bumper is from Photoactive and looks just like an Apple bumper but we will see.

Not to mention I bought her AppleCare+

HAHA, on me as I will spend as much protecting the phone as the phone!

20. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

It is very disappointing that it came with two marks on it. Still unsure if I'm going to go in and try to get them to exchange it. Not sure if that would count as my one "exchange" for the year either, which is also important to consider.