Not impressed with iPad 4

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think this is completely off the mark. You forget that Apple has shareholders to answer to. They need to stagger product releases throughout the year to meet sales goals for every quarter. Trust me when I say that they understand that most people can't buy all these new shiny devices at once. My guess is that we will see a new iPhone in June-July to get it back on track. The only reason it was pushed back is because the tsunami slowed production. No new nano or iPod touch next year and a refresh of the iPad and mini in October along side of the iTV or whatever they decide to call the damn thing.
Who do you know who buys an iPhone and an iPod Touch for themselves? It's usually one or the other, so they aren't losing any sales releasing these two products at the same time. Yes, lots of people get an iPad and and and iPhone, but they don't have to buy them at the same time if they can't afford both at the same time.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if they start selling the iPads in March again and the iPhones in June just for the sake of staggering them.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
To be honest I was expecting the iPad to get a slight refresh with the lightning connector, but I guess if they had the extra hardware from the iPhone 5 to tweak and use why not? I've only had my 3rd gen for a few months and its basically just a web browser for me. No need for the upgrade. iPad and iPad 2 owners get an early surprise though!
I have an iPad 2 and I'll be skipping this one too. Totally unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Dakine

Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
If I didn't already have the iPad3 I would upgrade. The retina display is just too good to pass up.

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
All about money.. "Lets release a smaller iPad and while we're at it we can put an X after a6 and release a new iPad a big one double our Xmas bonus" "what of course they will buy it most of them will get a small one and a big one then in January we can put the a6 chip in a new small one and guess what they will buy that as well" I get the iMac updates but Apple are just cashing in on the iPads....

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
I hope they get the manufacturing of the mini black sorted this time before they ship them out, if there made of the same soft as shite aluminium as the ip5... They still waiting for the ip5 in UK..

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Wait did they actually call it an iPad 4? I was under the impression it was still the same generation of iPad. I mean that they would still come out with a redesign in a few months. Don't they normally do the iPads in like march or so?

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I was thinking over todays announcment and of course my Apple TV was lagging at the mini and 4th gerneration announcment and I missed most of it.
One thing I was missing for the 4th Generation iPad is the announcment about how thin it is !
The Mac super thin! The New Macbooks super thin
so I checked into the spechs

iPod Touch 5th 6.1 mm

iPad Mini 7.2 mm & iPod Touch 4th

iPhone 5 7.6 mm

iPad2 8.8 mm

iPhone 4s 9.3 mm

iPad 4th 9.4 mm

I believe perhaps there will be a new iPad in Spring after all? One that keeps up with the "Thin" design ?

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I think Apple are getting desperate to push out new devices now. The only change is the processor, facetime camera and the lightning port. And a 6 Month life cycle? What a joke. If you have an iPad 3 you would be really stupid if you upgraded. Just saying'.
Apple can't win. When they push out devices every year, people complain its too slow to keep up with other devices. When they put out an update release in 6 months, it's too fast.

Illusion, this is nothing against you, I was just using your post as an example. We'll see if this 6 month thing becomes a trend or an exception. My thoughts are that Apple wanted to roll out all devices with the new lightning cable and the iPad was last. Thus, a new iPad and iPad mini.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Mini is not retina display, so look at an ipad2 and there ya have it.
Well cover 2" and you'll have the mini. Lol
I may be wrong here and feel free to correct me but since it's the same resolution but in a smaller screen doesn't that give the smaller display more pixels per square inch? If so the screen on the mini should look sharper.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I may be wrong here and feel free to correct me but since it's the same resolution but in a smaller screen doesn't that give the smaller display more pixels per square inch? If so the screen on the mini should look sharper.
That is correct. It will look sharper.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
That is correct. It will look sharper.
I thought so, just surprised that Apple didn't bring it up in the keynote. They were comparing the resolution to the iPad 2 which automatically makes it seem dated. Explaining this further would have not only made sense but made it seem less dated.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
Hmmm...Well, I'm not necessarily ticked that this was released, but I am a bit...miffed I suppose. I skipped the iPad 2 and got the iPad 3 on release day. I LOVE my iPad 3...the Retina Display is awesome. However, for the reason that most hate, I would rather have all my devices with the same connector. Say what you want about the Lightning connector, I don't like the idea of having to carry around different cables between my iPad and iPhone 5. I have both and got one 30 pin adapter, but the lightning is enticing for me. I don't know that the speed is that big of a deal...I've never felt like my iPad 3 was "slow." I'll be skipping this "refresh" more than likely, but having the same connector is causing me to think about it a bit. That and resale value is the best it will be for the iPad 3 right now. Hmmm...

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah I was waiting to buy an iPad, since I returned my last one before the month was up(financial hiccup and needed the money fast), until they adopted the lightning cable. Was hoping it wasn't so soon though lol Too tempting to spend money on myself instead of others this close to Christmas. :S

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
As an iPad 3 owner, if they had just released an iPad 3 with lightning connector today, I would have yawned and moved on. In fact, that was so much my plan that I didn't even bother watching the event today or even reading up on the specs until just an hour ago.

The inclusion of the A6X gives me serious pause. I thought my iPad 3 was fast when I first got it. And it still is. But believe me, I can tell a big difference when using my iPhone 5. I am feeling that A6. iOS just feels so right on it. I won't go so far as to say my new iPhone has ruined the experience of my newish iPad (it hasn't), but it has tarnished it.

Considering my iPad 3 was a gift, I'm going to try and Craigslist it and see what I can get for it. If I can upgrade for $100 or so, that is totally worth it to me to get all my iDevices on the same footing, processor- and charging cable-wise.

Reactions: Smarty2600

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Well I see them going on eBay for more than Apple even sells them for, which I find confusing considering who can't order from Apple... You shouldn't have any trouble selling it.