Not impressed with iPad 4

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hoping to sell it locally and avoid the fees. I usually laugh at people that upgrade so quickly, but considering the resale value of these things, it just seems the right thing to do in my case. It's annoying to have two different charging connectors around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Well I just mean that you should still be able to sell it for a good price no matter the venue.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, I hope so. I usually laugh at people that upgrade so quickly, but considering the resale value of these things, it just seems the right thing to do in my case. It's annoying to have two different charging connectors around.
Yeah, you can spend $100 this year to upgrade and enjoy the benefits of the latest and greatest. Or you can stick with last year's technology for another year and then spend $200 to upgrade next year. Upgrading is a no-brainer when you factor in the high resale value.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I plan on keeping my iPhone 5 for 2 years and the iPad at least that long, so now is the time for me to upgrade so they feel the same. I could be happier with an A6 iPad for even longer... we'll see... that thing is a beast!

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
Yeah honestly in your situation if you really think about it, it's like you are only spending 80 more because the other 20 is for the lightning cable lol

Reactions: psylichon

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah honestly in your situation if you really think about it, it's like you are only spending 80 more because the other 20 is for the lightning cable lol
Ooooh, good point! I'll tell the wife.

I do have a 30-pin MIDI interface I'd like to keep using, so I'll have to break down and get an adapter. But I was planning on buying one eventually anyway.

Hayesimus

Contributor
Bronze
Apr 12, 2012
I'm really hoping I can manage until those magical generic ones work and are available...

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Who do you know who buys an iPhone and an iPod Touch for themselves? It's usually one or the other, so they aren't losing any sales releasing these two products at the same time. Yes, lots of people get an iPad and and and iPhone, but they don't have to buy them at the same time if they can't afford both at the same time.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if they start selling the iPads in March again and the iPhones in June just for the sake of staggering them.
Of course nobody buys an iPod touch and an iPhone for themselves, but like myself people have children. iPod touch in the fall makes sense since it's really geared for kids and the holidays are right around the corner. iPads make sense in the fall too since it isn't as age restrictive. Yes people don't have to purchase them right when they are released but Apple also knows a lot of people do. Releasing all the products at the same time almost ensures that some of the products if not all of them won't do as well because other products will cannibalize their counterparts. Most consumers have a limited budget so they will buy what's the most important to them at that time, but by the time they can budget a new device a refresh is almost certainly around the corner so why not wait the extra 2-3 months and get the newer one. So that consumer skipped a product generation because the release wasn't staggered. It just doesn't make good businesss sense. It's the equivalent of the same movie studio releasing all it's big pictures for the entire year on the same weekend, except it's worse cause Apple products are much higher ticket items.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't know. I see a ton of people here who just got iPhone 5s and are about to buy new iPads.

Reactions: Mommy

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
I don't know. I see a ton of people here who just got iPhone 5s and are about to buy new iPads.
Yeah but we're talking about regular consumers not us Apple junkies. Lol! Some of us would sell our left testicle for the next shiny Apple thingy. That's not the average consumer. BTW the starting bid for mine is $50! Who's in?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
CASEACE79, I was just thinking about it some more and I think they might continue with September/October iPhones and Novemeber iPads and iPod Touches. The iPhone isn't a huge Christmas gift because you would need the person's account info and people may not want to lock someone else into a contract, but the iPad and iPods are. I think I heard that 75%+ iPod users are under 18. Plus, that gives us about six weeks to make more money to give to Apple if we want both an iPhone and an iPad for ourselves.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
For everyone hat thinks it is too soon or a "stupid" idea probably don't run a multi billion dollar businesss. In fact they probably don't run a businesss. Apple knows that everyone will buy one. Even if it is just six months ago the last one came out.
Don't want one don't buy one. Apple doesn't care. Their is someone standing inline right behind you that will.

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I agree with your view . I also think that there is no difference among the versions of ipad excepts little changes..........
NO differences EXCEPT
So differences but not enough to justify you buying it?

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I am looking forward to the iPad 4, a really great improvement.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I never got the 3
I was disappointed they made the 3 /"New" thicker and heavier (yeah I understand why)
I do not want the 4 for that same reason they have not made it lighter or thinner.
So I get the mini and it will be fine until the next update (I hope Spring for Mothersday)