Not impressed with iPad 4

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I never got the 3
I was disappointed they made the 3 /"New" thicker and heavier (yeah I understand why)
I do not want the 4 for that same reason they have not made it lighter or thinner.
So I get the mini and it will be fine until the next update (I hope Spring for Mothersday)
The odds of the 5 coming out in the spring are slim to none.

JackRouach

Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
You really think Apple did good with this stupid ipad mini idea really save 180 and get a lower res screen and weaker processor really for that price u got to be stupid get a used ipad 2 u have the same resolution screen and the same processor lol

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
The odds of the 5 coming out in the spring are slim to none.
OK, I will bite. Why would you say that given the recent announcement ? No reason why theyy couldnt have a more major upgrade in 6mo. If not it would be 18mo or so between "major" upgrades?

I am playing devil advocate. I really have no idea what Apple will do now, with the recent announcment.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
OK, I will bite. Why would you say that given the recent announcement ? No reason why theyy couldnt have a more major upgrade in 6mo. If not it would be 18mo or so between "major" upgrades?

I am playing devil advocate. I really have no idea what Apple will do now, with the recent announcment.
Because they typically only release products like this annually. I think they just moved the time slot to before Christmas to maximize sales.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Because they typically only release products like this annually. I think they just moved the time slot to before Christmas to maximize sales.
Maybe, but this update/ refresh was a small one and basically totally glossed over.

IDK, seems they will want the iPad to take center stage again. I am betting we will see an update since they moved iPhone 5 and iPad mini to that sweet elegant form factor.

I am betting we will see a slimmer, lighter iPad in the spring. Maybe with NFC. The iPad is now "the ugliest" of the 3! Well sort of.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
You really think Apple did good with this stupid ipad mini idea really save 180 and get a lower res screen and weaker processor really for that price u got to be stupid get a used ipad 2 u have the same resolution screen and the same processor lol
I think it's a brilliant idea. My 9yr. old daughter had her heart set on an iPad for xmas but $499 is a bit much for a 9 yr. old but $329 is doable and I as a parent will enjoy saving the $180. How much do you think it should cost? Let me guess $249. Can I ask you a question? Who would buy an iPod Touch for $299 when they could get an iPad mini for $249. They had to price it at $329 in order not to cut into sales of other products. Apple has a killer holiday line up.

iPod shuffle @ $49
iPod Nano @ $149
iPod Touch @ $299
iPad Mini @ $329
iPad @ $499

This ensures that there is a new iDevice for almost any budget.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I think it's a brilliant idea. My 9yr. old daughter had her heart set on an iPad for xmas but $499 is a bit much for a 9 yr. old but $329 is doable and I as a parent will enjoy saving the $180. How much do you think it should cost? Let me guess $249. Can I ask you a question? Who would buy an iPod Touch for $299 when they could get an iPad mini for $249. They had to price it at $329 in order not to cut into sales of other products. Apple has a killer holiday line up.

iPod shuffle @ $49
iPod Nano @ $149
iPod Touch @ $299
iPad Mini @ $329
iPad @ $499

This ensures that there is a new iDevice for almost any budget.
Hmm. Maybe the iPod Touch should be less then?

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Maybe, but this update/ refresh was a small one and basically totally glossed over.

IDK, seems they will want the iPad to take center stage again. I am betting we will see an update since they moved iPhone 5 and iPad mini to that sweet elegant form factor.

I am betting we will see a slimmer, lighter iPad in the spring. Maybe with NFC. The iPad is now "the ugliest" of the 3! Well sort of.
I think this is wishful thinking. Three refreshes in one year? I think Apple wanted to move the iPad closer to the holidays to boost sales. In order to do that they either had to wait a yr. and a half and piss everyone off, or do two refreshes in seven months and only piss off the people who bought the iPad 3. This way they piss off less people and make more money. I would take any bet that there wouldn't be a refresh in the spring.

I do however think odds are good that we'll see an iPhone 5S in June-July to offset all this crazy holiday madness. Apple has to have new releases thought the year to make projected sales goals for each quarter. All the products being released in Q4 won't last long. It's just an inevitable shuffle that had to happen at some time.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
I think this is wishful thinking. Three refreshes in one year? I think Apple wanted to move the iPad closer to the holidays to boost sales. In order to do that they either had to wait a yr. and a half and piss everyone off, or do two refreshes in seven months and only piss off the people who bought the iPad 3. This way they piss off less people and make more money. I would take any bet that there wouldn't be a refresh in the spring.

I do however think odds are good that we'll see an iPhone 5S in June-July to offset all this crazy holiday madness. Apple has to have new releases thought the year to make projected sales goals for each quarter. All the products being released in Q4 won't last long. It's just an inevitable shuffle that had to happen at some time.
Maybe so, maybe not. No One was speculating they werre syncing iPad sales to holiday sales prior tot the accouncement. in fact, Apples sales recently don't need to rely on holidays for sales.
I would be the move to the A6x processor made some interneal sense regarding A5x yields or cost for production of cpu for just one product.

Apple needs to maintain the Apple hype machine to push sales all year round. Why would iPad sales all of sudden have to sync to holidays? This was not necessary for iPad2 or iPad3.

I have no real idea what Apple has up their sleeve, but I not sure they are going to want to go 7-8mo with no new products.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Maybe so, maybe not. No One was speculating they werre syncing iPad sales to holiday sales prior tot the accouncement. in fact, Apples sales recently don't need to rely on holidays for sales.
I would be the move to the A6x processor made some interneal sense regarding A5x yields or cost for production of cpu for just one product.

Apple needs to maintain the Apple hype machine to push sales all year round. Why would iPad sales all of sudden have to sync to holidays? This was not necessary for iPad2 or iPad3.

I have no real idea what Apple has up their sleeve, but I not sure they are going to want to go 7-8mo with no new products.
Of course both our opinions are all speculation. I do find it fun to speculate though. Some decisions Apple makes are almost dizzying. I think they enjoy driving all of us nuts trying to figure out their logic.

nealh

Contributor
Silver
Apr 3, 2008
Of course both our opinions are all speculation. I do find it fun to speculate though. Some decisions Apple makes are almost dizzying. I think they enjoy driving all of us nuts trying to figure out their logic.
I agree. I wonder if they have a meeting to laugh at how crazy we get about telling each other what Apple is going to do. Like we really know!

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I won a Ipad 3 at a charity auction last night. I'm wondering if they would let me exchange it for a Ipad 4. I'm in the 30 days window... :)

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I don't have the ipad 3 so Im interested. What is the talk about the cable usb/sd? Is that still just going to read pics and videos only?
Since the 4th generation iPad has the Lightning port, those with the Camera Connection Kit will have to upgrade. The Camera Connection Kit for the previous iPads was only $29. For the Lightning port, there are separate SD and USB adapters, each costing $29.
The SD adapter reads just pictures and video. The USB adapter is actually a little more functional. I use my iPad 3 as a pre-amp for my bass guitar each week via the USB adapter. However, aside from pictures and video, it is limited to mostly musical applications.

Because of the new Lightning port, those who use the Digital AV Adapter will also have to upgrade. The 30-pin Digital AV Adapter was $39. The Lightning version is $49.

Although I wasn't planning to get the iPad 4, the cost of replacing the adapters gives me pause to get a Lightning iPad at all at this point.