Not just the 3G issues, GPS is horrible

hankito

Aug 12, 2008
San Diego
Ok so I travel between a few 3G heavy areas and I'm sorry but it doesn't get more 3G heavy than New York City, Boston, Houston and San Diego. In all areas within these metro areas suddenly I can't receive data such as email then sometimes I can't get calls and data and it switches back and forth to Edge a lot. When any of these happen I have to reboot the phone. What a pain. Oh, was at a football game and could not make a call at all until I jumped on the EDGE network.

So on the topic of GPS...let me tell you its off...way off half the time. Even if I am standing outside on a clear day, with no obstuctions...guess what...doesn't pin point me and if it does its off by about 1/8 of a mile saying im the next street or so over.

It's pretty much like having the location services of the original phone. I expected more, way more. Right now it sucks along with ATTs 3G network.

I bet Apple and ATT are gonna start pointing fingers at each other right about now each saying its not my problem.

Oh last week in Boston...guess where it said I was when I needed directions? Atlanta, Georgia....nice.....

Hank

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
don't know what to tell you, mine is dead on. almost scary how accurate it can be (blue dot follows me room to room in my house)

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Mine is perfect as well. I've not tried it inside my house from room to room. I have a feeling miggs works for Apple anyway. :)

hankito

Aug 12, 2008
San Diego
well

Apparently there are thousands of people with this same issue so I'm not the only one here.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I live in San Diego and often it does jump between edge and 3g networks which sucks because you'll be zipping along on 3g, then a pause in browsing because it drops to edge which then goes devilishly slow, then 20 seconds later it hops onto 3g which makes another little pause, and all this can happen within the loading of one heavy webpage.

As far as GPS mine wasn't great out of the box (30 mile radius) but now it's 80% dead on and 20% off by maybe 50 yards.

miggs1310

Bronze
Jul 29, 2008
Mine is perfect as well. I've not tried it inside my house from room to room. I have a feeling miggs works for Apple anyway. :)
no, i don't work for Apple and your house is about 30% bigger than mine. i'm poor.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
GPS will work for me often, then just crap out at times. It's ridiculous.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
i hate it when it's all jerkey. one minutes it smooth then the next it stops for no reason. And then BAM! it's back on track.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
yes, I've had that problem too. Happens a lot on the highway for me.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Counting my blessings with the GPS. Although, I'd trade my GPS for 3G reception any day... maybe.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
These issues aren't "OMG" to me. I don't use GPS very often, and 3g, although at 1-2 bars, has never dropped a call on me, and sounds just fine.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
These issues aren't "OMG" to me. I don't use GPS very often, and 3g, although at 1-2 bars, has never dropped a call on me, and sounds just fine.
Neither are they for me... I've never really used 3G so I don't actually know what I'm missing. Still wouldn't trade my iPhone for any other on the market.

Jul 14, 2008
I decided to try out the GPS on my way home last night from work. 3G was enabled the entire 11 miles and didn't revert to edge once. This was a new white iPhone that was originally 2.0 from the factory. I restored the iPhone so that I cold get a fresh non upgraded version of 2.0.1 on the phone.

All 11 miles, the GPS was dead on accurate and never showed me drifting off road as my other white 2.0 phone does.

Bosco115

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
My GPS is flaky. 50% of the time, it's dead on. The remainder of the time, it either lags, gives me an incorrect location, or flat out won't find me, even if I'm looking up at the clear blue sky for three minutes.

So I'm experiencing 3G AND GPS problems, just like I reported on my first few days of 3G use on this forum. I was brushed off.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
doesn't pin point me and if it does its off by about 1/8 of a mile saying im the next street or so over.
This is what happen to me last weekend when my GPS was on and off all day, at one point it showed me one street over.

As of right now my GPS doesn't work again and I am standing outside, clear sky, and FULL 5 BAR 3G Signal (for the ones that said my GPS didn't work because of my 3G/EDGE Signal).

I do have to say this issue didn't start until I exchanged my 3G last week or maybe the software update (which I did the same day).

Restore was a temporary fix (said I had a corrupt file), but I am not going to restore my phone every day.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
My GPS is actually pretty good. In fact, I had to use it today. I just moved to this area and sometimes get confused on back roads. It told me where I was, dead on...and also gave me accurate directions to where I needed to be.

When I'm at my house, it doesn't show me pin point where I am, but my development is brand new and hasn't made it to google maps yet.

Even the traffic feature on GPS is accurate for me. and thank God for it.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Hey FlwrPwer I just thought about you. I went outside and decided to give my 3g a try again since I honestly haven't bothered with it lately. It's been off for a while since wi-fi, gps and even EDGE is fine where I am.
Well I turned it on, it registered a bar or two and quickly went to NO SERVICE. EDGE wouldn't come back on... nothing but NO SERVICE. I thought, damn now I'm going to be in the same situation Karen was in where I'm going to have to restore the phone just to regain connection with AT&T. It stayed in that state for what seemed to be an eternity but in actuality it was probably 4 or 5 minutes.

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Hey FlwrPwer I just thought about you. I went outside and decided to give my 3g a try again since I honestly haven't bothered with it lately. It's been off for a while since wi-fi, gps and even EDGE is fine where I am.
Well I turned it on, it registered a bar or two and quickly went to NO SERVICE. EDGE wouldn't come back on... nothing but NO SERVICE. I thought, damn now I'm going to be in the same situation Karen was in where I'm going to have to restore the phone just to regain connection with AT&T. It stayed in that state for what seemed to be an eternity but in actuality it was probably 4 or 5 minutes.
Did you try and remove the battery? ;)

Glad it worked out for you in the end though! :)