Not keeping in sync with the Mac

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by silvermoon, Jun 20, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I was posting an ad on craigslist and wanted to send some pictures over from my iPhone to my MacBook. I'm thinking everything is ready to go with iCloud and the pictures will be visible from the Mac but that is not how it worked out. First, I send the pictures to the cloud on my phone thinking that they would show up on the mac. No, still not there. So I send a text message from the phone with the three pictures that I want and still didn't come through. At this point, I'm starting to think I could have signed up for Dropbox and downloaded the pictures that way but I'm still game for anything so I email the pictures through my phone over to my mac and about 5 minutes later, they appear in Mail. This is not without its own set of problems, when I go to download the pictures from the Mail app, the app locks up and I have to force quit. I open the app back up and drag the images from the email to my desktop where then I upload them to finish the post.

I've had nothing but problems with iCloud since day one. I have done all the usual checks to see that it was enabled in iCloud settings and in System Preferences, iCloud. I''m completely at a loss on how to get iCloud working properly as it might work for a week and then not work again. I know that generally people just don't use iCloud and that eliminates any problems.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Wow that is crazy. I haven't heard of many issues with iCloud recently, but they're out there. I myself use Dropbox as it's very simple. Or I text and or email the photos to myself. As for your email issues, very odd I have to say.

Glad it all got settled though.

Were you fully connected to the internet on your Mac?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Make sure you have these settings. It only works over WiFi, so if you haven't connected to WiFi since the pictures were taken on the phone they aren't going to show up on your Mac. Email can take several minutes when you are sending multiple large pictures.
    Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 11.07.58 PM.png

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not really odd or crazy.

As opposed to partially connected to the internet?

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Interesting. I did not know that.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Where are these settings? Is this in iPhoto? I didn't find the settings in your screenshot in iCloud.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

iPhoto > Preferences > iCloud

8. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That is the settings I have. I'm connected to WiFi on my Mac and iPhone. Anything else I can try?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Make sure Photostream is on in the phone settings as well. Reboot both devices, then take a pic with the phone while on WiFi and check to see if it pushes to your Mac, which needs to be on WiFi as well.

10. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried what you said and reboot both devices, took a pic with the phone on WiFi and see not being pushed to the Mac. I'm almost wondering if I should contact the Apple Store and see what is going on with iCloud and my account. I ran into this problem today when I needed to send more pics to my computer for posting on a website. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's just a setting problem. I would repeat the steps. Log out of iCloud on both devices and then log back in and make sure Photostream is enabled on both of them. Post screenshots of your settings on the Mac and iPhone if it still doesn't work.

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I can't sign out of my iCloud account. The following message pops up "Your iCloud account can't be removed at this time". I'm signed out on my phone but not on the Mac.

13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I've got the issue resolved with iCloud. I reset both accounts on the iPhone and Mac, turned on iCloud for both devices, and set up iPhoto on the Mac and then I sent myself a test pic and got it through the Photo Stream in iPhoto.