not receiving all my e-mail messages

rocketcuse

Nov 20, 2008
I tried searching this forum along with Apples with no luck.

What is happening, hopefully I explain this correctly, I am not getting all my mail from a POP3 server on my iPhone 3G.

I can be checking mail throughout the day on the iPhone, but when I get home, and log into my PC e-mail app, I will get messages that never appeared on my phone. These are messages with morning time stamps or the day before if I didn't check my e-mail on the PC that day. Make sense?

The iPhone is setup to leave the mail on the server, while my PC is setup to download the messages and remove from the server.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
If your PC checking email during the day? If so, it's most likely downloading messages and deleting them from the server before your iPhone has a chance to download them. I would set up both to leave the messages on the server or setup your PC ay home to not check email during the day.

Joe

Conv5

Bronze
May 28, 2009
Lubbock, Texas
If your PC checking email during the day? If so, it's most likely downloading messages and deleting them from the server before your iPhone has a chance to download them. I would set up both to leave the messages on the server or setup your PC ay home to not check email during the day.

Joe

Nice explanation

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
What Quake97 said would be my initial response as well. Let us know if that doesn't seem to be the case.

To add, I'd set iPhone to leave it, but setup your PC to remove after 1-3 days. That should give your iPhone a chance to pull it down and still have it removed from the server (eventually)

rocketcuse

Nov 20, 2008
What Quake97 said would be my initial response as well. Let us know if that doesn't seem to be the case.

To add, I'd set iPhone to leave it, but setup your PC to remove after 1-3 days. That should give your iPhone a chance to pull it down and still have it removed from the server (eventually)

My home PC is always powered off when not in use. So Outlook could not be checking mail.

Hopefully i can explain this better :) Through out the day i will use my iPhone to check my personal e-mail account. When I get home, IF I were to check my e-mail in outlook, I would see all the messages that I viewed on the iPhone, as I should, but I would also get a couple more message in outlook that appear to have been processed by the mail server during the times I was checking mail on the iPhone.

Example: On my iPhone I would receive 1 message at 8:00 Am another at say 8:10 AM and a 3rd at 8:30 AM when I checked at 8:40 AM. Outlook would have those same messages but also there could be a few messages in between those time stamps. For example, outlook would have additional messages stamped 8:04AM 8:08 AM and maybe 8:25AM.

Doe this help explain what I am trying to say?

I could not use Outlook for a week and still the 2 inboxes would not be the same.

I manually setup the mail accounts on the iPhone. This weekend I deleted them and had iTunes sync the accounts. No change.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
That makes sense. So in essense your iPhone doesn't pull down ALL of your mail. Did you pay close attention to the Outlook messages that aren't going to your iPhone? Do they have a particular content? Does it seem to be from the same users all the time? Are the sizes extremely large? They're pretty much long shots but it's tough to explain why an iPhone won't download emails.

Issues like this a default step would be to delete then recreate your account. Hopefully we can come up with some type of explanation.

Nov 20, 2008
That makes sense. So in essense your iPhone doesn't pull down ALL of your mail. Did you pay close attention to the Outlook messages that aren't going to your iPhone? Do they have a particular content? Does it seem to be from the same users all the time? Are the sizes extremely large? They're pretty much long shots but it's tough to explain why an iPhone won't download emails.

Issues like this a default step would be to delete then recreate your account. Hopefully we can come up with some type of explanation.
Most of the missing messages are typical text only e-mail. 1-3kb in size. Sometime the missing messages would be contain a graphic attachment. Don't remember off hand how big, I would say nothing more than 1-2mb. Some messages I am missing are newsletter type messages, again, maybe 10-50kb in size.

When I receive my iPhone in October '08 I manually created the accounts on the phone. This past weekend, I deleted the accounts and used iTunes and synced the accounts. Surprisingly, I have not been receiving much mail this week. Not sure if it is working 100% or not. But I am receiving 1 particular message on the iPhone that I wasn't before. As long as that particular sender keeps coming, I don't really care about the rest.

Thanks for the help!

atldvd

Bronze
Jan 8, 2008
N.E. Oklahoma
One other consideration is that I believe the time you see on an email is not an accurate indication of when it was received. I have often received an email with a much earlier time than other emails I'd already received, and I wondered why it was so late coming. So, your "missing" emails could have been received after your most recent iPhone mail update, but before you checked on the PC. Here's something to try: When you get home, update your mail on your iPhone, then immediately check it with Outlook on the PC. If my (OK, wacky) theory is correct, you won't see any new emails on the PC which weren't already on the iPhone.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
I have my email at home set to delete messages from the server only after they are moved from my inbox. Problem solved. So I get them on both my home computer and the iPhone because they are not deleted from the server until the messages are moved from the inbox. :D

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Did you say the problem started after you had iTunes "create" your accounts for you? I know all my accounts were created manually. Wonder if having iTunes setup your account makes a difference... hmmm.

Nov 20, 2008
Did you say the problem started after you had iTunes "create" your accounts for you? I know all my accounts were created manually. Wonder if having iTunes setup your account makes a difference... hmmm.
No, I set up the accounts manually when I first purchased my iPhone. This past weekend I decide to try and see if I did something wrong and deleted the accounts and let iTunes create them.

I think it may be working now. I am getting message on the iPhone that I wasn't getting before. I haven't checked my PC since Tuesday night. I wrote down a quick note of what messages I received on the phone to compare.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I hope it is resolved... that is one weird problem.