Notes and Photos won't save?

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
I just jailbroke and unlocked my iPhone (again) because it for some reason crashed and didn't want to boot.

Weird.

But now I did the jailbreak with ZiPhone 2.4, and now, every time I respring, Safari is totally oblivious that its been used (shows one tab, then opens bookmarks), my photos won't show up after I take them, notes won't save, and if I delete a webclip, it will show up again as soon as I respring.

Any ideas as to how I might go around trying to fix this? It is very very annoying.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
tony, edit your signature, please, its stretching out the forum and it makes it really hard to read on the iPhone..

Not bitching, just asking you to consider this..

=D

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
I just jailbroke and unlocked my iPhone (again) because it for some reason crashed and didn't want to boot.

Weird.

But now I did the jailbreak with ZiPhone 2.4, and now, every time I respring, Safari is totally oblivious that its been used (shows one tab, then opens bookmarks), my photos won't show up after I take them, notes won't save, and if I delete a webclip, it will show up again as soon as I respring.

Any ideas as to how I might go around trying to fix this? It is very very annoying.
It sounds like your ownership permissions have been preserved from your previous Jailbreak, which I think was Nate's?

Nate's might have been using the owner "root" while Zibri's uses "mobile" and now I'm gonna take a pretty big guess here that when you were prompted to restore your iPhone's profile after restoring it to a stock 1.1.3 before you jailbroke it this last time, iTunes migrated all your previous "root" to your iPhone thus not allowing you to save any data, or make any changes, because you're only granted permissions to view said files as "mobile" because they belong to "root"

Does that make any sense?

I had to go through this with a friends iPhone, and what was strange is that even in a stock 1.1.3 with no hacks, after restoring his profile we were still stuck with the wrong permissions on his key applications like mail and photos. They would either crash on launch, or not save data like in your case.

One way we fixed this was to take the phone as is, and Restore it to factory settings, but before we did we changed the iPhone's profile name from "joe's iPhone" to just "iPhone". After the restoring to a stock 1.1.3, when asked which profile to restore back on the iPhone we selected "iPhone" this time, rather than "joe's iPhone" like before. We were able to recover all of his settings and contacts, and oddly enough, all the ownership permissions were set right.

You can read Tinman's Easy JB thread where we discuss the notion that restoring your profile under the same username can lead to problems like experienced here and with my friends JB.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
One way we fixed this was to take the phone as is, and Restore it to factory settings, but before we did we changed the iPhone's profile name from "joe's iPhone" to just "iPhone". After the restoring to a stock 1.1.3, when asked which profile to restore back on the iPhone we selected "iPhone" this time, rather than "joe's iPhone" like before. We were able to recover all of his settings and contacts, and oddly enough, all the ownership permissions were set right.
Quick question: after you rename the iPhone's profile name and click on restore, do you click on yes to the "backup"?

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Quick question: after you rename the iPhone's profile name and click on restore, do you click on yes to the "backup"?
Yeah, after the rename, I made a new backup with that name. Thats how I got prompted which profile to restore later, the original or the new one. Sorry if I left that step out, it's been a few days since we did that.

After the restore was done and we verified the apps worked, we renamed it back to "Joe's iPhone" in iTunes.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
So can you explain in detail what I am supposed to do?

Oh and I definitely have to restore now, my BB is messed up..

So I'm at 1.1.3 (stupid version)

I have 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3 on my computer, somewhere...

I feel like a fool, but what could have caused Nates JB to crash and fail like it did?

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
tony, edit your signature, please, its stretching out the forum and it makes it really hard to read on the iPhone..

Not bitching, just asking you to consider this..

=D
I noticed that today when I was using the phone and did not understand why it was happening I will edit it... or is it that you just don't like the giants lol...

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
So can you explain in detail what I am supposed to do?

Oh and I definitely have to restore now, my BB is messed up..

So I'm at 1.1.3 (stupid version)

I have 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3 on my computer, somewhere...

I feel like a fool, but what could have caused Nates JB to crash and fail like it did?
1) You may want to do a little reading on Zibri's Jailbreak, and google search a tutorial for Unlockers and 1.1.3. I believe Zibri's makes it possible to Unlock even an out of the box 16g iPhone, but don't quote me on that. I'm just posting what I recall reading.

2) Zibris can fix the BB with one of the newest distributions of it. I still have an older one so I can't comment on how to use it, but again if you look around you'll find the GUI is also labeled as a "Repair" tool as well now :)

3) I don't think u gotta do that 1.1.3->1.1.1->1.1.2->1.1.3 stuff anymore, Zibri's JB is like a one-stop-solution.

4) I don't want to say it was a result of Nate's JB specifically, because thats just the nature of the beast with these jailbreaks. I've had mine show me a connect to iTunes screen on at least 2 occasions, once on 1.1.1 and again on 1.1.3 with the very first 2-hour JB. All I had to do was connect to Independence/iBrickr to get out of recovery mode, but that didn't leave me much confidence if I'm not at a computer. I jailbroke to Zibri's not long after it was released and haven't had any problems at all. Very solid, probably one of the best JBs to date, could be the last, lol.