Notes from iMac won't sync

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Kriss, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

I use notes a lot on my iPhone and my iMac. I'm running the latest Yosemite OS and iOS 9 on my phone. The notes sync fine from the phone to iCloud in both directions. This leads me to believe that something recently changed on my iMac. There have been a few software updates and it looks as though the notes stopped syncing about a month ago, (since that's the most recent note I see from my phone).

I Googled until I was seeing double, then decided to just ask the experts here. I have done all the preliminary things that were suggested in Google like... unchecking, deleting and re-checking the notes in my iCloud settings, signed on and off iCloud on all devices. Nothing seems to work. Anyone else ever have this happen?

2. gckoenig

gckoenig New Member

Apple has neglected Notes. On Apple's own web site, Notes is not listed in the product feedback section! In iTuned, there is no selector to control synchronization of Notes (as there is for Contacts and other apps). In still other places, Notes is not documented, supported, etc.

Notes started out as one of the most half baked designs ever! The first version required you to connect them to an Email address, then displayed any notes created on your iPhone in that Email address's IN box, intermingled with received Email!

I know of no solution to your problem except to complain loudly and often to Apple about this deplorable situation! I am stuck with the same issue: Notes that exist one place but won't copy to the other.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Notes are synced through iCloud, not iTunes.

4. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Alright, I found the problem. I downloaded the El Capitan beta and the OS9 beta. I didn't like them so I reverted back to Yosemite. Well, the notes app had updated in iCloud and when I put the release version of iOS9 on my phone, it only communicated with iCloud. It would not communicate with Yosemite on my iMac. iCloud wouldn't communicate with my iMac either. (as far as notes go, other things worked fine). I since updated to El Capitan on my iMac and everything syncs fine now. I should note that the main reason I didn't want El Capitan in the first place was because my LogMeIn program wasn't compatible and I needed it for remote support of my customers. They have since released a version that's "mostly" compatible with the new OS.