Notes gone from iCloud, why?

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Booyow1204, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

Has this happened or anyone?... For some reason all my notes are completely gone. I don't know if it's the iCloud server tripping out on me or what but it's really annoying. I have been using the notes app to save my passwords. (Not anything important you know the stupid ones like target.com, Facebook.com, membership to shopping sites etc.)

I have too many logins and I use notes to track them as the passwords each site requires gets more tricky. So far I've had no problem backing them up to iCloud until now. This has happened to me a few times over the year and I always had to start all over. I'm trying to avoid that as it's a pain in the A.

Does anybody know how I would get my notes back? They weren't accidentally deleted by me they're just plain missing..... :(

#1 Booyow1204, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try logging out of iCloud and then logging back in. If that doesn't work, unfortunately they are gone.

I recommend a password manager app to keep your password safe. I use eWallet. It encrypts the passwords.

It's way too easy to accidentally delete notes (or have them just disappear for no reason). If you accidentally hit the trash icon, they are gone for good since they immediately get updated and deleted in the cloud. I was able to save one once, but only because my Mac was off at the time that I accidentally deleted it. I unplugged my router before turning the computer on so it wouldn't delete the note in the cloud the second my Mac had an internet connection. Then I opened the note and copied and pasted it into a text document. The note disappeared as soon as a plugged the router back in.

3. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

I tried the logging in/out and It didn't work, I was finally able to get my notes back after restoring my iPad from the iCloud backup. My notes were still there from the recent backup I had a few days ago so it worked and I'm not really behind on anything. I will be looking into a password keeper app and use that from now on as I don't have time for another headache like that again. I'm gonna check out that app you mentioned, does eWallet have a backup function as well? The one I had on my iPhone had a backup function but you have to pay an annual fee vs. a one time app fee.

btw. My iPad is still restoring but I emailed myself the notes from within the note app, as soon as I finished sending it disappeared right in front of me like yours did after you copied and pasted...weird.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh yeah, iCloud backups will work in a similar way, but you have to hurry and save them like I did because the ones that updated/deleted will quickly and automatically override the iCloud backup version. Sounds like you got them just in time. iCloud should do a backup once a day, so that method will only work if it hasn't backed up since they were deleted.

eWallet is a one-time charge. It has a backup feature and it syncs passwords between devices.

5. Booyow1204

Booyow1204 Contributor
    Silver

It's definitely a good thing I noticed it today then lol. Otherwise iCloud would have backed up and saved nothingness and I woulda been screwed.

Not letting that happen again....I learned my lesson.

Sent using iCafe app

6. anyone else had the trouble where I cloud backs up all your 'contacts' from gmail and there is no mass delete button (god I wish there was)