Notes

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Fantomas318 ツ, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Hio there!
    Is there a way to be able to see how many letters/notes a text contains that you write, without counting them manually?

//Thx for the help!

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you want to know if there is a way to see how many words/characters are in a note?

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm not 100% sure I understood what you meant by the question. I am only about 98% sure that you want an automated count of the characters in a text message to appear while you are composing it. You can have the electronic processors in the iPhone count how many letters are in a text that you write so that you don't have to count them manually, and you can summon the character counter by tapping on Settings, then Messages, then scrolling down to where it says "Character Count" and put that switch on "ON".

Note that the character counter will only appear for SMS messages, not iMessages, and it will only appear after you have typed a line or so of text...

cc.jpg

4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I was under the impression he was asking the question for Notes and not SMS messages.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You could be right. The OP's post was ambiguous. Hopefully he or she will come back and disambiguate it :)

I figured they were concerned with exceeding the standard 160-character count of a POTM (plain old text message).

6. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Ill edit this post, I did wrong when I quoted...

Sry.

7. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Yes I mean how many characters there are in a note.
    I'm not worried by text messages...

Sorry for my bad English.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Are you referring to the stock notes app? You want to know the character limit if a page there?

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

No, unfortunately there is not a way to see the number of characters in a note. The best alternative would be to find a notes app with support for that feature. SimpleNote does provide the number of words in a note. That is not quite what you are looking for but it should help.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can compose your note in messages as an SMS message. You can monitor the number of characters as you type. When done, copy and paste the note into the notes app. It's a few steps, but not really that much trouble. To get character counts in Messages, go to Settings>Messages>Toggle everything off except "Character Count".
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406464480.843575.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, why would you need to know the character count in a note in the Notes app? I don't know the limit, if there is one, but in my experience I have composed a long blog that was over 3 thousand characters. For all I know, you could write a novel in Notes. So I am curious.

#10 Ledsteplin, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  11. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Were can I see the number of characters?

Also if I have notes, can I paste them into text message to see how many characters they have?

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406470370.679019.jpg ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406470380.881679.jpg

12. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

May I ask how you could post that picture.
    It looked so much more professional then mine.
    I just took a screenshot of the iPhone...

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It was a screen shot. I cropped it (cut off part at the bottom) and darkened it a bit in Camera+. I assume you can copy and paste from notes to the messages app and it will show the character count. The count is hard to see. It's very faint. I hate when Apple does that iOS 7 weak text you can barely see. But it's above the "Send" button. You have to look real hard. Make sure Messages is set like I showed in the photo above.

14. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Thx, i can still not see the number...
    Ill. Send a SS and you can look.

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406473536.422829.jpg

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It works. Here's screen shots. Note the green arrow shows the character count. See how it's hard to see? Jony Ive at Apple must have cats eyes.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406473648.105257.jpg

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1406473658.838485.jpg

16. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

@Fantomas318 ツ , do you have a Macintosh computer? Do you use iCloud? Are your Mac and iPhone synced to the same iCloud user ID? If yes, continue reading...

(The difficulty level of this method is approximately "medium.")

On your Mac, create a service to count characters using Automator by following the instructions in this tutorial:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120428125918199

You can then type the note on your iPhone, then open up the note in Notes.app on your Macintosh computer that is logged in to the same iCloud User ID as your iPhone. You will see the note that you just created on your iPhone. Then, highlight the entire note (or just the part you want counted).

Right click, click on Services, then click on count characters.

cc.jpg

Note that the author of this script used the word "sign(s)" instead of "character(s)". I changed it to "character(s)" in the actual script, and you can, too.

17. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You cannot see the number because you're trying it on an iMessage. You must try it on an SMS text message with a contact who doesn't use iMessage (or create a fake contact with a random phone number). You can tell it's an SMS text message because you will see a green text bubble instead of a blue one.

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You have iMessage on. It only shows in SMS messages. It should be green not blue. Go to settings and turn iMessage off and turn MMS off. All that should be toggled on is "Character Count".

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This just muddies the water! :D

20. Fantomas318 ツ

Bronze

Thx for the help guys!
    Sry for being an Apple n00b!