Notification Center issues after a safe mode crash

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by up10ad, Jan 7, 2014.

1. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

I have been experiencing a recurring issue with my settings in Notification Center disappearing after a device crash to safe mode. After a respring I find that all Notification Center settings toggles are changed to Off, and there are no apps in the Include section. While it is fairly easy to toggle Today Summary and add the apps back in, I often find that my Weather no longer shows up no matter what I do (and yes, it is in Location Services and has been opened to set location).

The only solution I've found for getting Weather back is to do a Settings/General/Reset/Reset All Settings. This works to get the Weather back, but unfortunately, it requires a bit of time to reenter other settings including WiFi, permissions, etc. (this reset does not remove any data or apps).

After a lot of research I have discovered an easier way to fix this problem. It requires using iFile on your iPhone or a program like WinSCP on your computer to modify or replace /var/mobile/Library/BulletinBoard/SectionInfo.plist. This file contains information about all the items in Notification Center. The fix for the Weather not showing up is to delete the key and data associated with com.apple.weather.today. This can be done using iFile on your phone or with WinSCP. Simply find the section highlighted below and press delete.

upload_2014-1-7_15-55-29.png

After a reboot and respring the Weather is back in Notification Center.

After setting up all my notifications again I created a copy of the file with a different name (SectionInfo.plist.good) which I can use as a replacement if it becomes corrupted again.

What is causing this problem in the first place?

The jury is still out on this issue. I've read some reports that HiddenSettings7 may have something to do with it, but I'm skeptical since the settings themselves are an Apple feature. I have removed HiddenSettings7 and I'll see if the instances of safe mode crashing improves or its impact on Notification Center changes at all.

Am I alone with this issue?

2. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Nope, you're not alone with this. Plenty of people are suffering this problem (myself included). Just deleting SectionInfo.plist works for me. Respringing after that returns the weather.

The notifications need to always be done again one by one. Something that I've noticed with the notifications is the messages app has everything turned off but sounds.

Luckily, it doesn't take long to put everything back, but it's definitely annoying since we're all trying former tweaks that may or may not have been updated to iOS 7.

3. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

That's why I made a copy of a known good version. Copying it back fixes everything.

4. verbalj

verbalj Member
    Bronze

Ohhh...I see what you mean now. Ingenius. Totally doing that now.

5. cliffeman

cliffeman Zealot
    Gold

:ROFLMAO: Sorry, couldn't resist!

6. Andrew Savage

Andrew Savage New Member

This worked to restore the weather info in NC, however, it knocked out most (but not all?) of the various tweaks I installed via Cydia. No big deal, just thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks!

7. Andrew Savage

Andrew Savage New Member

Ya, I must have inadvertently deleted some other stuff in that file, because my jailbreak is now rendered useless. I'm able to open Cydia, but nothing applies, whether I reinstall, or remove/install. Oh well, restoring/jailbreaking again...

8. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

HHmmmm The sectioninfo.plist file contains nothing that is related to anything outside of the notification center. I am lost as to why it would affect Cydia or any other tweaks. Heck, you can delete the entire file and it gets recreated when you set up notification center again.

9. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

As an additional note to the original issue, I have since completely wiped my iPhone 5 using Settings/General/Reset/Erase All Content and Settings. I then restored iOS 7.0.4 and set up as a new iPhone. I added the iTunes Apps, Photos, etc that I wanted and then used Evasi0n to jailbreak. I have added back all my Cydia stuff and it's working fine.

Go figure. Here is what is installed:
    • Activator
    • Applocker
    • BackgroundManager
    • Barrel
    • Bigify2
    • BrowserChanger
    • Cloaky
    • FolderCloser
    • iFile
    • iKeyWi
    • LandscapeVideos
    • Nitrous
    • PkgBackup
    • SwipeSelection
    • Transparent Dock – Bailey
    • YahooWeatherIsBetter
    • Zeppelin
    The only thing I haven't added back yet is BiteSMS.