Notification sounds not working

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smarty2600, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

For some reason my iPad appears to have stopped making sounds when I get push notifications. I haven't gotten the little ding sound from CNN for iPad, abc news, pulse(the rss reader app), or Fanhattan. The only notification sounds I seem to be getting are email and calendar alerts that I set. And under settings I have sound enabled for all of them and have turned the sound on and off but nothing has changed. If anyone else has experienced this strange silence or knows how to fix it I appreciate your help.

2. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Try doing a full shutdown. And reboot. See if that fixes the problem

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Try a hard reset if a reboot doesn't work. Press the home button and the sleep button at the same time. Ignore the 'slide to power off' and release both buttons when you see the Apple logo. Reset all settings if a hard reset doesn't fix it.

4. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Regular reboot didn't work so I have a few questions about the other options.

Europa will hard resetting change anything on my iPad? And how would I reset the settings? What would change if it I did reset the settings?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, a hard reset is just a slightly longer reboot. No data, settings etc. will be lost.

To reset all settings, open the Settings app and go to General > Reset > Reset all Settings. You'll get the grey set up screen when it reboots, but all of your data (notes, contacts and email) and media (music, photos, videos) will still be on the phone so skip the step when it asks if you want to use an iCloud backup. The wallpaper, ringtones, etc. will need to be set up again and you'll have to enter your WiFi passwords as well. Third party apps will retain their settings, but stock apps such as Weather will need to be set up again.

If that doesn't work, a full restore will be necessary.

6. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Okay thanks I tried the hard reset by holding down both the buttons and will see if that works out. Thanks for explaining the reset information.

7. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Well thanks for the advice, today I decided to book a genius bar reservation and I explained my problem they tested that I wasn't receiving notification sounds for third party apps through Instagram and sure enough they proved I wasn't crazy. Then the Apple store guy sent me over to a technician and he told me it was probably a hardware problem and just gave me a replacement iPad so hopefully it works out now. I just brought it home and recently finished up restoring from my iCloud backup.

8. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Well that was a bust, the replacement iPad has the same problem so I guess I'll go back to the Apple store. But as far as restoring goes I just restored from backup with my replacement iPad. Is something wrong in the software of my backup?

9. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Sounds like it. Try a restore as new

10. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

Yeah I'm just unsure about restarting from fresh because I would lose pictures that I haven't backed up and game progress(I'm currently way too addicted to where's my water). But I will probably do it because not having the sounds just really irks me.

11. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Go to Settings -> Notifications, select one of the apps where you are not receiving notification sounds. Are "Sounds" turned on?

edit: nevermind, I just re-read your first post and saw you had checked that. :( I'm stumped

12. Murphy3143

Murphy3143 New Member

I have the same issue with notification sounds on the latest iPod touch. Same apps work fine on the wife's iPad.

13. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I updated my iPhone 6 and my wifes 6 Plus to iOS 9.0.1 yesterday ( from 8.4.1 I believe ) via iTunes. All was smooth except that, the notification sounds have become very intermittent for 'Gmail' -from Google- , for WhatsApp, and for FaceBook messenger. This is the case for both phones, which are new. There may be more bugs but we don't run too many apps at the best of times It has been suggested that as '3rd party apps' these might not yet have been made fully compliant with the new iOS. I've done hard reboots on both phones to no avail. Hopefully forthcoming app updates will remedy the problem, failing that we will have to wait for 9.1 I guess............:(

14. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I'm not at all sure about the 'protocol and political correctness' of posting a link to posts on another forum , but I'm sure if I'm committing a gaffe that a moderator will quickly set me straight ..... I'm posting this because the 'sounds issue' seems to have raised its head again with iOS 9 / 9.0.1 & has not ruffled many feathers yet ... (Since 2012/13)
    I have used a workaround for WhatsApp and things seem to be better now with some apps ( 3rd party email clients - GMail and Outlook ) but I'm interested to know if any on this forum have had the same issues .... David

http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=341319

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You might try restoring as new. It's a PITA, but usually takes care of issues like this. I had stopped getting all lock screen and banner notifications when I set up my new 6s Plus with iCloud. A restore as new fixed it.

16. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I'm just going to 'stay the course' for a bit on this as for me personally, it's only WhatsApp playing the fool, and by using 'alert' rather than 'banner' has restored both the ring for calls as well as the chime for texts - for this I thank an IMore poster a few days ago .....

17. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Whatsapp updated this morning - notifications still intermittent - issue has to be within iOS 9'itself .... Hope for 9.1 soon !!

18. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Do your other notifications work? If they do, I think it's still the app, rather than the iOS. WhatsApp has had issues lately from what I've seen. I had a Weather app I wasn't getting the hourly weather notifications on lockscreen. It was a beta version. It worked on my old 5, but not on my new 6s Plus. The market version worked, but not the beta. The last update fixed it. What was odd, is it worked on a friend's 6s Plus, but not on mine. The app may not be updated properly for iOS 9 and notifications.

19. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

WhatsApp sounds are intermittent, Facebook Messenger as well, likewise Outlook email . 'Lock sounds' also are for the most part absent, until turned off and back on. At least in my case, iMessage and the phone ringtones itself seem ok so far. My Wife's 6plus WhatsApp, and her Gmail ( from Google ) are mostly silent.

20. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

To the list of 'usually silent' partners also includes sound notifications for this (iCafe) as well as iMore forums ....