Notifications while on a call...

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
While on a call, is there no option to stop notifications for text, emails etc?

ipwn3gs

Bronze
Jul 12, 2009
its not possible to stop sms pop up .... i also frustrated with that.... what can i do? NOTHING!

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Thanks for the info.

Also, if I end a call, shouldn't my iPhone go back to the main screen, rather than the phone menu? I don't like that, I guess I'm picky...

ItsMeArjay

Bronze
Jul 23, 2009
Clearwater, FL
www.twitter.com
Go to message settings. You can turn off SMS preview.
But even if you still get a text message, You'll still get a notification that you got a text from sender...it gets frustrating when I'm watching something and I have to watch the movie from the beginning and have to find where I was interrupted.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Thanks for the info.

Also, if I end a call, shouldn't my iPhone go back to the main screen, rather than the phone menu? I don't like that, I guess I'm picky...
Well, you were in the Phone app on the phone, so it's putting you back to where you started. That seems logical to me.

Joe

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
Thanks for the info.

Yes, you're picky.

Well, you were in the Phone app on the phone, so it's putting you back to where you started. That seems logical to me.

Joe
Yes Joe, you're correct.

The phone automatically puts you back in the last screen where you were at for almost any app. If you're in the App store and close it, then reopen it at a later time, it puts you right back on the last page you were on. Same goes for e-mail, safari, phone, iPod.

I can slightly understand the whole SMS popup notification and wanting to turn it off, just like you can do for Push notifications, but unless Apple introduces more options for SMS, I guess you're kinda stuck. :)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I don't mind getting the notification, what I do mind is the fact that if someone sends me an SMS while im on the phone I cant access the phones menu (end call / contact screen) etc until i have pressed the view or close button. If im on the phone I don't want to read a text, so I tap close. The problem with that is that it removed the new message indicator from the SMS app and I sometimes forget that a new SMS has come through...

:(

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
I don't mind getting the notification, what I do mind is the fact that if someone sends me an SMS while im on the phone I cant access the phones menu (end call / contact screen) etc until i have pressed the view or close button. If im on the phone I don't want to read a text, so I tap close. The problem with that is that it removed the new message indicator from the SMS app and I sometimes forget that a new SMS has come through...

:(
When you're on a phone call, you can still access the phone menu and its features if you're in another screen, such as SMS. The top of the screen will turn green, that says "touch to return to call."

I get SMS here and there while on a call and I reply as normal. The only thing tho is if I have sound on, people will usually ask what the sound was and I have to let them know I got a text.

If you turn the text preview to "off" and you close the SMS popup instead of view, you'll still have a notification on your "messages" icon. I have mine turned off because I can't always get back to them, this way I don't forget I have unread SMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I know you can access the phones menu whilst on a call, I think you misunderstood. I don't want to turn pop ups for SMS off as I like them as long as I'm not on the phone.

My point is this: if you are on the phone and get an SMS ( with pop ups on) unless you tap either view or close you can't hang up the phone or press mute etc. It's all greyed out as the pop up requires attention. If I click close (as I don't want to read the text while I'm on the phone) then the little number 1 on the SMS disappears. I know you are able to press the home button and then reply to texts etc but if you just want to hang up without actioning the pop up I don't think you can?

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
If I click close (as I don't want to read the text while I'm on the phone) then the little number 1 on the SMS disappears.
That's incorrect. Like I said, if you turn the text preview to "off" in your SMS settings and still hit "close" when receiving a text, the # indicator on the "messages" icon will remain and not disappear.

iNinja said:
I know you are able to press the home button and then reply to texts etc but if you just want to hang up without actioning the pop up I don't think you can?
Correct, you can't hit the home button without taking either action on the popup. There really is no way to disable SMS popups from coming in. Like I said, that's something Apple would have to implement with additional settings, unless there's a 3rd party app or plugin that will allow this. It's not really required for you to take action on the SMS or read the text while on a call for that matter; just hit close and ignore it until the call is done. That's really the only alternative you have.